Question re: resetting devices.

Reaction score
We had two elderly family members for whom I set up ipads, including creating Apple ID accounts for them. They were dealing with bad situations so I figured I’d try to give them a boost. Sadly they have both passed away within the last 2 years. I was going to reset the ipads I gave them so I could use them again but I don’t remember the Apple ID data I created for either of them. If I contact Apple would they be able to help since the devices were in my name initially?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you have the original purchase receipt, then you can likely have them help out. Are the email addressed used on those Apple IDs not accessible to anyone?

OP
F
Reaction score
If you have the original purchase receipt, then you can likely have them help out. Are the email addressed used on those Apple IDs not accessible to anyone?
I created the email addresses for the family members. Since I was giving them the device I didn’t record the passwords for the email addresses or the iTunes accounts because I had them choose their own passwords after I gave them the devices. Re: receipts, they may be somewhere around but no idea where since it’s been several years. Guess I’ll just pitch the iPads.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do the iPads have a passcode set on them? If not, you might be able to do a factory reset in that case and then set them up as new devices. Since the previous Apple IDs won't be used anymore, it does't matter that these iPads will stay associated with that account and any new accounts as well.

If a passcode was set on them, then this is a bit harder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.