Question about installing Time Machine on new iMac

M

MJG196

I am waiting for my new iMac to be delivered. In preparation for its arrival, I've saved everything onto an external HD and Time Machine.

My questions are:

1. Is it OK to install a Time Machine copy to a new iMac? Are there issues I should be aware of?

2. If so, will all of the parental control settings remain the same for the other users?

Thank you

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
When you get your brand new Mac, mount the Time Machine External Hard Drive. When you power up, the Mac will take you through the initial set up, than ask if you want restore from a backup and it will mention Time Machine.

Select Time Machine and it will restore your settings, email accounts, data, documents, Photos - the lot. Including parental controls.

When finished, your new Mac will work like your old one.

Points to note:

Some apps like Microsoft Office for Mac and any Adobe products will probably ask you for your license details. This could apply to other apps as well, but not many.

If your old Mac was several Operating Systems back, then some apps may not be compatible with the latest OS.

By and large, the whole process should go smoothly.

I wish you you luck and hope you enjoy the new Mac.

Any problems, post here.

Ian

OP
M

MJG196

When you get your brand new Mac, mount the Time Machine External Hard Drive. When you power up, the Mac will take you through the initial set up, than ask if you want restore from a backup and it will mention Time Machine.

Select Time Machine and it will restore your settings, email accounts, data, documents, Photos - the lot. Including parental controls.

When finished, your new Mac will work like your old one.

Points to note:

Some apps like Microsoft Office for Mac and any Adobe products will probably ask you for your license details. This could apply to other apps as well, but not many.

If your old Mac was several Operating Systems back, then some apps may not be compatible with the latest OS.

By and large, the whole process should go smoothly.

I wish you you luck and hope you enjoy the new Mac.

Any problems, post here.

Ian

Thanks, Ian. Just to clarify: My TM is installed on an external HD and not an Apple Time Machine "device." Same steps?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes. Early in the process you are given an opportunity to choose the source. It doesn't require the Apple Time Capsule hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If both of your Macs have an Ethernet port, you can use that as well, to “transfer from another Mac”.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.