Question about exporting music to USB drive

Reaction score
I want to transfer my iTunes library to a USB drive for use in a car stereo with USB input. I see all the threads recommending to just drag the albums onto the USB drive... but that results in thousands of songs all piled in together without any organization. Will most car stereos organize my music using metadata, or should I copy the files over in Finder instead in order to keep the songs organized by artist and album?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Organize your music into playlists the way you would like = artist, album, genre, etc. Then copy the playlists to your USB drive. Since we have no idea which car stereo you have and what its capabilities are, check its user manual to see how you can arrange the music in the way you want.

Reaction score
Granted I've not had many, but the stereos I've used require the music in the root directory of the stick, not in folders.
So it's just drag and drop for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.