Printer cartridge dried up

Reaction score
An HP Deskjet 2510 printer had not been used for nearly 3 years. Although the display is showing ink in the black and in the colour cartridges, it’s just spewing out blank sheets. I suppose I’ll just have to get two new cartridges … or might it be possible to clear the blockage? Has anyone run into this problem and found a cure? Perhaps an old toothbrush?
Thanks in advance for comments …

M

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Just like a pen going dry after an extended time for no-use, you've likely got the same problem. So grab two new cartridges and that should resolve the issue and allow you print again.

I only use laser printers which don't suffer from this issue if not used often enough.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK - thanks for the helpful info.
I guessed that was probably the cause.
Will get a couple of cartridges ASAP.
M

Reaction score
OK - thanks for the helpful info.
I guessed that was probably the cause.
Will get a couple of cartridges ASAP.

I hope that is enough to fix the problem. Near as I can tell from HP's horribly non-informative Web site, your printer has a separate print head, the print head isn't part of the ink cartridge. That means that even if you put new ink cartridges in your printer, if you don't remove and clean your print heads, it isn't going to print.

I haven't found instructions online for how to remove your printer's print heads to clean them. But cleaning the print heads in some inkjet printers can be a bear. You have to remove them and soak them overnight in a solution of ammonia and alcohol, and then rinse them. You may need to repeat doing that a few times if they are really badly clogged.

Just FYI, inkjet printers are worthless to folks who don't print regularly. And by regularly I mean probably once a week or so. Even the more recent inkjet printers that automatically park and seal the printheads to try and keep them from drying out, need to be used fairly regularly.

If you only print things once every three years, it might be best just to forgo having a home printer and to send your print jobs to a local service bureau, such as the ones in most Staples.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
An HP Deskjet 2510 printer had not been used for nearly 3 years.
So grab two new cartridges and that should resolve the issue and allow you print again.

Be prepared that you may still need to clean the printhead properly, even with new ink cartridges.

Have a read here for some of the extra cleaning procedures that might be required:

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
Is it really worth the time and effort trying to fix this printer - to remove and clean the print heads and buy a set of new cartridges when one can buy a new HP All-in-One for less than $100 Canadian ($75 US)

Reaction score
Is it really worth the time and effort trying to fix this printer - to remove and clean the print heads and buy a set of new cartridges when one can buy a new HP All-in-One for less than $100 Canadian ($75 US)
If the original poster is replacing their ink cartridges with genuine HP cartridges for about $50 each (they need two; one black and one color, for a total of $100 usd), then, no, it probably isn't worth it.

If they are replacing their ink cartridges with compatible cartridges from a known highly reliable source, and only paying about $10 each for their cartridges (for a total of only $20 usd), then, yes, it's probably worth it.

http://www.megatoners.com/hew-gench563wn.html

http://www.megatoners.com/hew-gench564wn.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If they are replacing their ink cartridges with compatible cartridges from a known highly reliable source, and only paying about $10 each for their cartridges (for a total of only $20 usd), then, yes, it's probably worth it.

Or their price for a Canon Pixma MX922 for $1.49/XL cartridge (sale price) and a few minutes time pushing on the printer utility Clean button makes it even more worthwhile.

Man that is a fraction of the excellent reasonable price I have already been paying, but I didn't check out the shipping costs. I just might check them out... ;-)

PS: I recently picked up a box of still sealed Canon ink cartridges for our Canon printer from our local Facebook Marketplace for a pittance. Another good source for inkjet printer cartridges at a great cheap
price.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
After the printer sat idle for 3 years, it's highly unlikely that just replacing the ink cartridges on that HP will get it to work again properly.
I have no idea how easy it is to remove the HP print heads and to try to clean them, but based on Randy's comment it's not just a matter of snapping them out.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, many thanks for all the advice.
I've not yet done anything about getting new cartridges.
The printer would not normally be left for so long ... another Covid casualty!
I can get prints if necessary by sending documents to a nearby friend who would print for me.
But it's quite inconvenient not having a printer.
I'll just fester for a while and re-post if I find a solution.
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But it's quite inconvenient not having a printer.
I'll just fester for a while and re-post if I find a solution.

For a possible temporary solution, you could try soaking the bottom part of the ink cartridge in a shallow bowl or dish of warm water until the dried out but hopefully dissolved ink starts to flow into the water.

Some have suggested using a few drops of alcohol with the water and/or a drop of dishwashing detergent or maybe some Windex.

This might let you get you some legible printing done until you get some new replacement cartridges.

Good Luck.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Maybe, this is an opportunity to consider going "paperless"?🤔. Of course I know this just doesn't fit requirements in some instances but I find more and more opportunities to use the document scanner on my phone or a flatbed scanner to replace what used to be copied/printed documents with "electronic" PDF copies, let someone else print them if they must. Printers are a really horrible source of environmental waste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Printers are a really horrible source of environmental waste.

Hmmm...??? Rod.

I think you actually mean to say most inkjet printers are an excellent sources for producing environmental waste Rod.

Not only with the screwed up printed paper ages they are able to produce that are absolutely useless, along with all the plastic cartridges that don't seem to make it to the recycle bins.

On the other hand, we help support some of the local BC provincial papermakers. one of the major industries of British Columbia even though we don't print that much.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.