Preferences/Sound/output - no USB available

Reaction score
I am trying to use usb output to send music to my powered speakers. The cable I am using is usb to RCA. When I go into preferences it only lists internal speaker. What am I missing here?

Thx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Depending on the model Mac, you really should be using a cable from your headphone jack to the powered speakers. You can buy a cable that plugs into the headphone jack and has the red and white RCA connectors at the other end.

OP
R
Reaction score
this is straight from the Apple website which seems contra to your answer.
Change the sound output settings on Mac
You can play sound through your computer’s internal speakers, your display’s speakers (if it has speakers), or through speakers, headphones, or other equipment plugged into your Mac or available wirelessly through AirPlay.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu
    2f77cc85238452e25cb517130188bf99.png
    > System Preferences, click Sound, then click Output.
  2. Select the device you want to use in the list of sound output devices.
    All sound output devices available to your Mac are listed, including the computer’s internal speakers, devices plugged into your computer’s sound port (
    Audio port icon
    ), USB speakers, and AirPlay devices.

Depending on the model Mac, you really should be using a cable from your headphone jack to the powered speakers. You can buy a cable that plugs into the headphone jack and has the red and white RCA connectors at the other end.

The USB connectors on your Mac are input, not output.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
this is straight from the Apple website which seems contra to your answer.

Your speakers are likely not USB speakers powered by the USB ports of your Mac. Powered speakers typically have their own plug in AC adapter which converts the AC to DC to provide the voltage needed for the speakers to work.

If your speaker setup is USB it should show up as a choice under sound preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You are trying to use a USB to RCA. That means your speakers are NOT USB speakers, just powered speakers with an RCA input. To use the USB for sound output, the speakers have to have a USB socket and communicate using the USB protocols.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.