Powerlight blinks once and there is a constant red light(G5 1.6)

Reaction score
First let me introduce myself, I've been building and rebuilding PCs since I was 13, that was seven years ago. Finally I've crossed a new threshold into completely unknown territory.

I recently came into a Power Mac G5 1.6ghz.

I am attempting to get it up and running with the sole use for it being word prcoessing. I have one stick(256mb) of ram in there right now, I have about 8 that I got with the computer. Every combination of which has only changed the speed of the blinking.

With the present stick(a Samsung something or other that I bought after being told it was an original stick that came with a 1.6 G5) the power light blinks once.

Every manual and site I've come across doesn't give an explanation as to that. I'm wondering if it's normal, I really only ever used macs in high school about 4 years ago.

Irregardless of ram or any other changes, there is a red light. I found site which claimed I needed something to direct the air from the fans and it would go away. Came across another that said it was heating issue with the processor. I've come to the conclusion that it obviously has something to do with heat, the lights red and everywhere I've looked it's said something about heating or cooling.

It also does send out a video signal. I've tried and tried and tried. I have six different video cards I've used in it, two of which came with it(they are not with me at present but I can update this later with their model numbers).

Everywhere I've looked so far, and everyone I've talked to, has told me things like that are interchangeable between PC and Mac the only difference being a firmware upgrade. Whether or not that's true, I'm not so sure.

Either way I want to get this Mac going asap, so it can serve a purpose other than collecting dust. As of right now I am awaiting the shipment of a replacement battery and a replacement processor(just in case). So any other help you could provide would be greatly appreciated, and maybe even further convince me that I need to buy a good mac instead of getting a free one.

Reaction score
You have the machine all messed up...the sticks should be installed in matched pairs and Mac memory. The video card has to be for the Mac as well and not a PCI one. Do you have any install disc for the machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.