Power management issue ..

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm using MacBook Pro 2015. For the last 5 years I use Bootcamp and using only Windows 10.
My laptop is running on power all the time and connected to external Monitor and keyboard.
Last week something weird happened with power ... almost every half hour it turns off itself ... even if I'm working on it.
I checked that all cables are connected properly.
The lid is always closed. I open the lid and press the power button. It starts to work .. but it's not restarting but it looks like it is returning from sleep.
I checked 'power plan' ... and all settings are set to never go into sleep and never turn off display.
Could you suggest please what could be the reason and how could I diagnose this?
Should I change some settings or etc.?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Could it be heat build up from running with the lid closed? Is the case hot when this happens? That machine is now 7 years old, so the fans may be dusty and losing efficiency. Can you tell if the fans are running, and if so, are they running fast?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My laptop is running on power all the time and connected to external Monitor and keyboard.
Two thoughts:

1. What happens if you disconnect the external monitor...unplug the computer...and run it on battery power only? In other words what sort of shape is the MacBook Pro's battery in?

2. Thought #2. Usually portable/laptop computers are not designed to run on battery power with items like external monitors attached.

I'm thinking since your MacBook Pro always has an external monitor connected to it & the MacBook Pro is always plugged in...maybe:

* The "wall outlet power" is being interrupted to the computer.
* Or the MacBook Pro's power cable is faulty, power supply brick is faulty, or the power connection at the computers power port is faulty or accidentally getting slightly disconnected.

Because the external monitor is connected all the time...if power is interrupted...the MacBook Pro is shutting off due to the MacBook Pro not allowed to operate on battery power with an external monitor attached.

Just some thoughts to investigate.

Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Could it be heat build up from running with the lid closed? Is the case hot when this happens? That machine is now 7 years old, so the fans may be dusty and losing efficiency. Can you tell if the fans are running, and if so, are they running fast?
I kept the lid open but it didn’t make a difference
I like your suggestion about the fan because it worked quite noisy recently btw: how could I remove the dust I.e. clean it?

OP
S
Reaction score
Two thoughts:

1. What happens if you disconnect the external monitor...unplug the computer...and run it on battery power only? In other words what sort of shape is the MacBook Pro's battery in?

2. Thought #2. Usually portable/laptop computers are not designed to run on battery power with items like external monitors attached.

I'm thinking since your MacBook Pro always has an external monitor connected to it & the MacBook Pro is always plugged in...maybe:

* The "wall outlet power" is being interrupted to the computer.
* Or the MacBook Pro's power cable is faulty, power supply brick is faulty, or the power connection at the computers power port is faulty or accidentally getting slightly disconnected.

Because the external monitor is connected all the time...if power is interrupted...the MacBook Pro is shutting off due to the MacBook Pro not allowed to operate on battery power with an external monitor attached.

Just some thoughts to investigate.

Nick
The battery is dead for many years and it runs on power all the time
I checked that power cable is ok
i will try to disconnect monitor and see if it’ll make the difference
I also noticed that when accident happened… laptop didn’t shut down. It looks like it gets in ‘sleep' because it’s enough only to touch power button and it wakes up

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The battery is dead for many years and it runs on power all the time
Thanks for the info...very helpful.:)

The battery really should be replaced. On the surface we might think that if a portable computers battery is dead...it would be perfectly ok to run it via plug-in power all the time. Unfortunately this is not always true since the internal battery can be part of the computers power circuit.

Over the years different Apple portable computers have worked differently when the internal battery is dead. Some don't work at all...while others run at reduced performance (50% or less). In some/many cases the internal battery can be part of the power circuit...and without an operational battery...the power circuit is not complete.

It is possible to replace the internal battery on 2015 MacBook Pro's...a good replacement battery can be purchased from OWC/Mac Sales for around $85 (not sure if you need a battery for a 13" or 15" 2015 MacBook Pro):

They have install videos as well.

Less expensive & maybe lower quality replacement batteries should also be available via eBay & Amazon.

HTH,

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.