Power Adapter Cords

Reaction score
Cord A is from an old iPhone 5s. Cord B is from a recent iPhone SE. Can I use Cord A to charge an iPhone SE in my car?

Thanks. :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Both are lightening connectors to connect to the phone. The other side is USB-A or USB-C, so plug that into whatever you have available.

Most cars will come a USB-A connector, not USB-C.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Most likely you would need a USB-A to USB-C adapter (for cord B)...unless your car has USB-C ports.

Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, gents.

On another note, some of these cables are showing wear on the outer insulating layer. Do you guys have a favorite home fix — maybe some kind of tape?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Electric (in black) tape is what you should use to avoid issues.

Or just grab a new set of cables from Amazon or similar places for cheap that you can use in your car only.

Reaction score
...some of these cables are showing wear on the outer insulating layer. Do you guys have a favorite home fix — maybe some kind of tape?

When these cables start to wear, they become a fire hazard. You can get inexpensive replacements that are higher quality (and which will last much longer), and that's what I recommend. Check out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HH8HN31/?th=1

OP
M
Reaction score
I have an old power adaptor like this that has some wear on the line running to the computer. The line cannot be removed, so I guess I'll have to buy a new power adaptor.

What's the best way to confirm that I am buying the correct replacement power adaptor for my MacBook Pro 13-in., which is very old?

Reaction score
What's the best way to confirm that I am buying the correct replacement power adaptor for my MacBook Pro 13-in.,

I would only purchase a genuine Apple 61W USB-C Power Adapter (A1718) for your MBP. Here is the best price that I could find:

Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles & More | eBay (outdated eBay link removed)

There are tons of clones of these from third party manufacturers at very attractive prices. You should resist the temptation to buy a clone. Apple chargers are very complex bits of kit, and there have been some very high profile cases of clone chargers causing fires or explosions. It's worth it to get the real thing.

If you are concerned that a particular charger that you are considering might not be a genuine Apple charger, you can tell the real ones because there is an Apple logo embossed on the side of the brick, as well as a little blurb on the side telling you that it was designed by Apple.

OP
M
Reaction score
@Randy B. Singer That's not the correct charger for me. My MBP was made ca. 2010.

I've got no problem buying a genuine Apple product from apple.com. It looks like I need the 60W MagSafe Power Adapter with "L" style connector. This page is most helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Do you guys have a favorite home fix — maybe some kind of tape?

Or apply a tapering bead about 2 in long applied from a hot glue gun and roll it around the cable as it cools to make a nice rounded and tapered fit to distribute the flex of the cable to a gentle curve.

You can also use any flat object to flatten it around the cable as you roll it on a flat surface. Just like rolling out pastry and you could even add flour or cornstarch to prevent it from sticking to the counter.

Most plastic based tapes if used will work better if and when heated a bit and rolled around the cable using a flat applicator.

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
@Randy B. Singer That's not the correct charger for me. My MBP was made ca. 2010.

I've got no problem buying a genuine Apple product from apple.com. It looks like I need the 60W MagSafe Power Adapter with "L" style connector. This page is most helpful.
Your posts show
MacBook Pro 13" 2017 • MacBook Pro 14" 2021 • iPhone SE

I assume that's the information Randy used when replying.

I agree with Randy, only get a genuine Apple one.
To save some money, I watch ebay for a used Apple charger

PS: You can also use a charger with a "T" style connector as long as it is a Mag Safe connector, NOT Mag Safe 2

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I agree with Randy, only get a genuine Apple one.
To save some money, I watch ebay for a used Apple charger

May I suggest checking out OWC who sells some excellent quality Chargers including authentic Apple Chargers and at a much more reasonable price:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score

Sorry, I was going by the MBP listed in your signature line.

>> MacBook Pro 13" 2017

Otherwise you only said that you had a MacBook Pro 13-inch, and didn't give additional information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.