Possible to improve wallpaper quality for higer res displays?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (M1, 2020)
I love the blue Tiger 10.4 wallpaper.
This is the best resolution I found on Google images:
Unfortunately, the blue ist too grey in my opinion, therefore I tinkered a bit with Gimp and the result is a beautiful blue.
On my newly bought 2021 MacBook Pro 16", I see slight artefacts concerning the color transitions. Is there a way to smooth this out, maybe even using AI? I have no expertise with computers, I need to say. I'm thinking of an upload to a free website, that exports the augmented version ready to download.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I see slight artefacts concerning the color transitions. Is there a way to smooth this out, maybe even using AI? I have no expertise with computers, I need to say. I'm thinking of an upload to a free website, that exports the augmented version ready to download.

Try doing a web search for higher resolution mac wallpaper downloads and they may have something that you like just as well, or you could try these and some of the links:

Then don't fiddle with the one you want to use unless you like looking at some small artifacts and out of place different coloured pixels... ;)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
For the most part, I view my photos only on my computer monitor. The monitor is set to 1980 x 1080 resolution. I don't print, and only share on two less-than-well-known sites. I accept the .JPGs as the camera generates them and historically haven't edited them.

If my camera is capable of taking pictures much larger than 1980 x 1080, are there reasons to take larger shots? What are the advantages or disadvantages of gifts for programmers of a larger shot vs. one closer to the monitor size? Other than the obvious file size of the larger images, that is.

Thanks! Extra points if you can tell me why has it taken me several years to ask why I'm take it for granted that max res is better ...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I love the blue Tiger 10.4 wallpaper.
This is the best resolution I found on Google images:
Unfortunately, the blue ist too grey in my opinion, therefore I tinkered a bit with Gimp and the result is a beautiful blue.
On my newly bought 2021 MacBook Pro 16", I see slight artefacts concerning the color transitions. Is there a way to smooth this out, maybe even using AI? I have no expertise with computers, I need to say. I'm thinking of an upload to a free website, that exports the augmented version ready to download.

I'm not exactly an expert on this, but I played around a little bit in Pixelmator Pro and what i think you want to do is adjust the temperature and/or the tint. Gimp should be able to do this also. Here's what I got by simply adjusting the temperature to a deeper blue. How does this look, as far as "artifacts" go, in comparison to what you've done? (EDIT: I'm having trouble posting the image... "parsing response" error... working on it....)

Ok, here's what I made, but downscaled to half the resolution to get it to upload, which itself "may" have artifacts from that. But take a look.

10-4-6k-edit-half.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! Extra points if you can tell me why has it taken me several years to ask why I'm take it for granted that max res is better ...

Possibly because Apple and many of the Mac Help sites keep harping and stressing to run a digital display at its maximum resolution to get its best results, and none suggest changing it to a lesser resolution so those off of us with older eyes can actually see and read our display at the new lower resolution setting... 😉
How's that for a reason...??? But it works for me... 😏

Even when using a lower-resolution, I often have to engage my Zoom Accessibility preference pane option to read the small fine or faint print. Apple seems to be one of the worst offenders and they seem to like or dictate using small light grey fonts.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
For the most part, I view my photos only on my computer monitor. The monitor is set to 1980 x 1080 resolution. I don't print, and only share on two less-than-well-known sites. I accept the .JPGs as the camera generates them and historically haven't edited them.

If my camera is capable of taking pictures much larger than 1980 x 1080, are there reasons to take larger shots? What are the advantages or disadvantages of gifts for programmers of a larger shot vs. one closer to the monitor size? Other than the obvious file size of the larger images, that is.

Thanks! Extra points if you can tell me why has it taken me several years to ask why I'm take it for granted that max res is better ... MasterBundles
didn't get any response to this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
didn't get any response to this

Not really surprising either actually...

Most questions asked seem to be of a personal preference nature rather than some rule of photography and picture taking...

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I use the best quality my iPhone camera is capable of shooting. I do that because if I choose later to crop the image, or zoom in to some portion of it, I have the highest resolution and the pixelation doesn't kick in until I've zoomed in a lot. Monitor size, resolution doesn't matter if the image itself doesn't have the detail. you can't add detail later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.