Possible scam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have started this post because I wasn't sure what to search on, so I ppologise if the question has already been asked.

I have just received a warning of a security alert on my google account. I haven't been trying to sign in and am not sure if this is a scam trying to get my password or not?

Any ideas please!

Edit :- Nearly forgot to say that I haven't clicked on either of the options.
Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 10.52.13.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It's a scam. If Google, or any other legitimate company, was concerned about your security, they would address you by name, perhaps also mention the last 3 numbers of your phone if you have 2FA. Perhaps mention the dates and details of your last few visits.

You could also use your Mouse pointer; scroll up to the sender's email and it will reveal the exact site from which the email was created. A legitimate site would be easily recognised whereas a scam site, say allegedly from Google, might look something like this:

Joe.telext.google.2314@xxx.(country such as Belgium or the far east etc.

It's very easy to spot a duff email by doing this.

Ian

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thank you for the gen Ian. It wasn't an email though. I came as a pop-up window on Safari.

After I had sent in this post I went back to the Safari and the tab the message was on and closed it. The 'warning message' disappeared with the tab and that made me more sure it was a scam. I have to admit that I haven't seen one quite like it before.

At least I'm sure now, thank you again.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thank you for the gen Ian. It wasn't an email though. I came as a pop-up window on Safari.

After I had sent in this post I went back to the Safari and the tab the message was on and closed it. The 'warning message' disappeared with the tab and that made me more sure it was a scam. I have to admit that I haven't seen one quite like it before.

At least I'm sure now, thank you again.
Were you on the Gmail website at that time or in one of your tabs? If the pop-up appeared without you being on there, then it's a phishing attempt.

Do you have 2FA enabled on your Google account? If not, you really should and this requires you to accept the login from the Gmail app running on your phone.

And just for your own sanity, it might not be a bad idea to change your Google password to another one now anyway.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2FA? Remember that I am as thick as a brick in these things Ashwin

No I didn't have anything to do with my google account at the time. In fact I can't remember the last time I did? I will go in and change the password anyway, ta.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Whenever you get warnings like this claiming to be from web service providers like Google or Microsoft the easiest way is to login to that site on your browser and see if you have any notifications. If not you can do a Security check from your Home page. You can also change your password and activate 2FA if you wish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
2FA is 2 Factor Authentication. Basically, when you turn on 2FA on a site that supports it, when you log in, the site will send a text message to you at a telephone number or email address you provide when you set up 2FA. That text will contain a code, usually 6 digits (although I've seen as long as 8 digits) that you then enter into the screen when the prompt for them. That is the second factor--first you gave a password and second they verify that it was, in fact, you. So even if your password is compromised, the thief will fail to get in because the code is sent to YOU, not the thief. It's not as secure as passcodes, but it is more secure than just passwords.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I recognise it now, just not the initials. I do have that but didn't think about it.

I've just done a search on 'passcodes' and from what I can make out they're only used on iOS? Plus, I have no idea what they are anyway, so once again and explanation for a thicky please :confused3

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.