Possible GPU failure

OP
P
Reaction score
How are you attempting this?
What macOS is the 2018 Mini running?
What macOS was the dead Mac running?
I'm attempting it via a full recovery of my system (CMD + R on startup) and selecting my Time Machine backup. Obviously due to the OS, this can't work. I'm aware that there are other lesser migration options, but for a variety of reasons I need my full system cloned exactly to the new Mac. Not just files but programs, preferences, plugins, settings. Everything.

New Mac has whatever OS it shipped with ready to setup. I know they initially launched with Mojave (and therefore supports Mojave at the earliest) but I think later ones had Big Sur preloaded which I think may be the case with mine. EDIT: Just checked, it is indeed Big Sur.

FURTHER EDIT. Yikes, I don't think this is normal at all. Please see my next post. 😟

I haven't even gone through the setup as the plan is to do a full restore from my TM backup (once I have one that's compatible).

My old dead iMac is on Sierra (hence why its TM backup won't restore to my new 2018 Mini) The plan at this point is to borrow an interim (2014) Mac, restore my TM backup to it, update to Mojave and then use it to create a new backup which I can then use to restore to my new Mini.

Long winded, but it seems to be the only way to restore my system.

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry to derail this thread with another change of subject, but upon checking what OS came preinstalled, I've come to realise that this Mac sold to me as 'Brand New' might not be.

Before purchasing, I contacted the seller to ask if by 'new' they meant it was also SEALED. They confirmed that yes it was sealed. It arrived and indeed looked brand new, but it wasn't sealed at all. I wasn't too concerned though and put the seller's miscommunication down to a language barrier.

However, upon setting it up tonight, I've realised 2 more things...

1. It's running Big Sur, when it should have been on Mojave. I've found conflicting info online about whether this is normal. Now i'm thinking it's not.

2. The RAM in both the listing and written on the box is 16GB. But now that I checked 'About this Mac', it's actually 64GB!

A nice mistake under any ordinary circumstances, but with these 3 things indicating the unit has been messed with, I have some concerns.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20221008_005947440.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221008_005947440.MP.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20221008_005954492.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221008_005954492.MP.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have some concerns.
What are these concerns? The serial number on the box matches what About This Mac provides. The RAM is higher than you expected. The unit is not NEW, but you got it from Ebay, so there is a good chance that it was used, upgraded and then sold to you. It boots, so it works.

So, what concerns? If it's just that it's not new, the probability of finding a new, never opened 2018 Mini is vanishingly small. If you don't like it, contact the seller and ask them to take it back.

But, frankly, I'd keep it and be happy.

And I would also try to restore from the existing TM backup before jumping through hoops as you said you plan to do. You could be surprised at what happens.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyone got any thoughts?
I think the biggest issue for me would be how much you paid for it?

If you got it for "quite a good price" as mentioned in post #16...then maybe with the 64GB of RAM you got a good deal.

Desktop computers are usually treated pretty gently (since they aren't moved around much)...thus it's probably in great shape.

But...if you paid close to what a new or refurbished unit would cost (with 64GB RAM)...then maybe further discussion with the seller is necessary.

If you got it for a good price...and it works fine...and it seems to be what you wanted in any case (2018 Mac-Mini)...then maybe all is good.:)

Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
True enough, the price I paid for it is likely to be considered good even for a well used unit of these specs (£799).

I did contact the seller with my concerns and they informed me they purchased it direct from Apple "a few months ago" and it's remained "untouched", "never even opened".

I guess my concern is not liking the fact it was potentially misrepresented and what other issues might be hiding. I understand that the Apple store still sells these 2018 Minis in some configurations. So what do you guys think? Might he have purchased it in the last few months? Might it have arrived to him unsealed? Might it have erroneously had Big Sur installed and might it have also accidentally had more RAM than advertised? All these things together seems quite improbable to me.

That's not to say I won't be keeping it. I'm more looking for reassurance than anything.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm more looking for reassurance than anything.

Be reassured!

Personal view, of course. But look - it works, it's better equipped than expected and the price was right.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess my concern is not liking the fact it was potentially misrepresented and what other issues might be hiding. I understand that the Apple store still sells these 2018 Minis in some configurations. So what do you guys think? Might he have purchased it in the last few months? Might it have arrived to him unsealed? Might it have erroneously had Big Sur installed and might it have also accidentally had more RAM than advertised? All these things together seems quite improbable to me.
I think I'd need to see the original eBay description to be able to make a fair judgement.

But yes...if this Mac-Mini was described as:

* Brand New
* sealed
* never opened

* macOS Mojave installed

...and it wasn't...then obviously the eBay description & what you received is not the same.

The bottom line is...either you're happy with what you have or your not.

* If happy...then keep it...and move on.
* If not...then return it.

Done deal!:)

Nick

p.s. One other possibility. Maybe this person is an eBay "volume seller"...or maybe not. If this person sells a lot of these Mac-Mini's...maybe they got things confused...and sent you the wrong unit. But if this person is not a volume seller...then this sort of mistake would seem improbable.

OP
P
Reaction score
I think I'd need to see the original eBay description to be able to make a fair judgement.

But yes...if this Mac-Mini was described as:

* Brand New
* sealed
* never opened

* macOS Mojave installed

...and it wasn't...then obviously the eBay description & what you received is not the same.

The bottom line is...either you're happy with what you have or your not.

* If happy...then keep it...and move on.
* If not...then return it.

Done deal!:)

Nick

p.s. One other possibility. Maybe this person is an eBay "volume seller"...or maybe not. If this person sells a lot of these Mac-Mini's...maybe they got things confused...and sent you the wrong unit. But if this person is not a volume seller...then this sort of mistake would seem improbable.
I can confirm that the item was listed as 'Brand New', with the rest of the description pasted from the apple site. Before buying, I messaged the seller asking if it was sealed, and he replied that it was. It arrived and it wasn't. And then there were the other erroneous details (The RAM upgrade, the OS update).

Questioned him about this and he stated he bought it direct from Apple a few months ago and it's never been opened (he didn't address the fact it was not sealed as he originally claimed).

Also, nope, not a volume seller of any kind. First item he's sold in over a year and he's only ever sold 3 items in his entire time on eBay. Seems to just be a regular guy. Which begs the question who buys a brand new Mac, doesn't open it (apparently), then sells it for a substantial loss within a few months?

Anyway. I AM happy with the purchase despite these mysteries. Especially as I've just had more success than I expected going through the migration assistant. Looks like I'm not going to have to jump through all those hoops after all.

EDIT: Also, I've since realised said hoops may not have ended up working anyway, so it's a good thing I never wasted my time on that solution.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal you're happy with it.:)

From earlier posts...sounds like you needed a macOS older than "Big Sur" for compatibility with older software. If this is true...this is going to be the very first thing you're going to want to do (get that older macOS version installed).

If this needs to be done...downgrading the macOS is kind of a pain in the butt...but must be done if you need older software compatibility.

On the positive side...since this 2018 Mac-Mini is "new to you"...then doing a complete wipe & starting from scratch is not so big a deal.:)

Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, already downgraded to Mojave earlier before I ran the Migration Assistant :)
Good deal. Sometimes downgrading can be a pain. Great your downgrade went well.:)

Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Just an update for anyone who comes across this thread in the future, I ended up having issues with Final Cut Pro after moving everything over using Migration Assistant, so I did end up carrying out my plan to use a donor Mac to update to Mojave, and then hopefully restore my new system from it...

...only to have the exact same results (Some fcp projects failed to open, and also my trackpad's pinch to zoom function stopped working within Final Cut).

I sorted out the former issue myself (it was a plugin called Magic Bullet Colorista that was causing the problem. Apparently it got broken by the method used to get FCP working on High Sierra/Mojave).

The latter issue is still unresolved. It might be a quirk of the software I used to enable Final Cut on newer OSX versions (Retroactive). I haven't found out yet, and have no idea whether I'll ever be able to fix it, which sucks as I used this functionality all the time to the point that zooming in on my timeline with a finger gesture has become second nature.

Anyway, the takeaway from this is that migration assistant these days is just as good as a full system restore. It's come a long way since I last used it.

Oh and to update people on my mystery "Brand New, bought a few months ago" Mac Mini, I decided to try registering it on the Apple site. There I learned that it was purchased in August 2021, and I have Enterprise level Apple Care until August 2024!

But despite the seller having his pants on fire, it still seems like an absolute bargain to me. 🙂

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Splendid summary, @peacockharris.

I've never used FCPro, but it is a standalone Apple app and this got me to wonder whether you could download a new version from Apple to overwrite the one you've got now?

There should be no cost involved as you've already purchased it. You would have to be sure that you got the version suitable for Mojave, of course.

I read that "Version 10.4.10 is the latest compatible version for Mojave 10.14.6"

Such a purchase would not affect your video library as it's a separate editor.

There is a caveat that I've just thought of: maybe one or more functions might be missing from a version specific to Mojave??

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and to update people on my mystery "Brand New, bought a few months ago" Mac Mini, I decided to try registering it on the Apple site. There I learned that it was purchased in August 2021, and I have Enterprise level Apple Care until August 2024!
Wow...you should be "flying high" after discovering that you have just under 2 years of Applecare coverage on your 2018 Mac-Mini.:)

Applecare for Enterprise is very unusual/uncommon (obviously something only a company would purchase...not individuals)...this is the first time I've ever heard someone mention it.

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 7.29.42 AM copy.png

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did contact the seller with my concerns and they informed me they purchased it direct from Apple "a few months ago" and it's remained "untouched", "never even opened".

The Enterprise things suggests a company-owned device......... Well, you are happy with it and as I suggested way back in this thread, enjoy it.

I wonder if the AC for Enterprise cover would apply to you, an individual? Let's hope it does because you're covered for another 2 years. Better still, let's hope you never need it at all. :) ;)

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
Splendid summary, @peacockharris.

I've never used FCPro, but it is a standalone Apple app and this got me to wonder whether you could download a new version from Apple to overwrite the one you've got now?

There should be no cost involved as you've already purchased it. You would have to be sure that you got the version suitable for Mojave, of course.

I read that "Version 10.4.10 is the latest compatible version for Mojave 10.14.6"

Such a purchase would not affect your video library as it's a separate editor.

There is a caveat that I've just thought of: maybe one or more functions might be missing from a version specific to Mojave??

Ian
If only it were that simple! FCP7 (which ended at v7.03) is a completely different piece of software to FCPX and hasn't been supported by Apple for a number of years. It last worked officially with Sierra, but I've been able to extend its compatibility up to Mojave with a third party program that patches it. It's also strictly intel only, whereas FCPX supports Apple's proprietary processors too.

FCPX is not simply an updated version; it's an entirely different product, with its own pricetag. (Despite the name, there were no versions 8 or 9)

Were it just about the money, I'd gladly pay for the new version, but they entirely redesigned it to the point that projects from one won't work in the other (there are some third party options to migrate projects from 7 to X, but they can be hit and miss, which is no good if you have a long complex project).

Most of all, they just dramatically changed how the editing process 'feels' and I'm reluctant to have to relearn everything. I know that eventually I'll have to though, at which point it may not be Apple software I choose to buy next time.

OP
P
Reaction score
I wonder if the AC for Enterprise cover would apply to you, an individual?
I'm not certain, but I'm assuming that the fact the Apple site let me register it at all means the original company never registered it themselves. I can't imagine any reason I'd be eligible for it otherwise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.