please help... macbook pro will not move beyond grey screen at startup

Reaction score
See attached image, does anyone know what this all means? I was able to take the photo after holding down the shift key upon powering up, then it shows the apple logo with the little bar below. After many minutes of filling out the bar it then goes to a grey/white screen indefinitely. Is the computer done for?

thanks in advance for any info or way forward!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What's the history of this computer?

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by history, we bought it "refurbished" from an apple store about 3.5 years ago... Use it mainly for internet and Adobe CS.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure what you mean by history, we bought it "refurbished" from an apple store about 3.5 years ago... Use it mainly for internet and Adobe CS.

You figured it out.:)

Can you tell the computers specs & OS version that's installed?

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I wish I could, but I cannot... I usually run the updates when prompted, and I know the os is recent/updated, but I don't know exactly which one.

Reaction score
See attached image, does anyone know what this all means?
Yes. In fact, it tells you in the first line. You had what is known as a "kernel panic." A kernel panic is a crash that is so severe that your Macintosh cannot proceed.

It is hard to figure out what caused the panic, because it could be anything from a software problem, to a hardware problem, or it could be caused by a peripheral that is attached to your computer.

The most likely culprit is the last change that you made to your computer. If you downloaded new software, or upgraded your OS, or you attached a new peripheral, that's likely to have been the cause.

This article will tell you what to do to troubleshoot the problem:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/TS3742

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I could, but I cannot... I usually run the updates when prompted, and I know the os is recent/updated, but I don't know exactly which one.

Some model computers over the years are known to have hardware issues. Your computer could be one of these. I would think after 3.5 years of ownership...you would have an idea of what the computer's spec's are...or at least what model MacBook Pro it is.

But as Randy B. Singer mentioned...the Kernel panic could be caused by a number of things. Many times they are hardware based. If you did something recently (hardware or software)...this could have triggered it.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, I finally got it... thanks for the link Randy, I had been trying the shift key with no success as well as the "command + R" key with no success but the "command + option + R" did the trick... Still gonna have the machine looked at, and now I'll go in and re-familiarize myself with the specs :) At going on 4+ years of age I wonder how much life it has left, but I need to ride it out to avoid Adobe's subscription model of draining my wallet.

Thanks, this was a great first experience here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Just FYI - I have a 2011 MB Pro still going strong. I have installed an SSD to improve the speed, but that is all and she is still going strong.

Also I am assuming you have Adobe CS installed with no way to reinstall it to a new computer. One of the beauties of a mac is you could create a clone using of your current drive Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, and move it to the new one. Granted you will also move any other software issues but if your old one has hardware issues only this could be a consideration. Just an idea.

Lisa

Reaction score
...I'll go in and re-familiarize myself with the specs ...

Here's an easy way to do that.

Download:

MachineProfile (free)
http://www.micromat.com/products/machineprofile

MachineProfile will give you all sorts of information about your Mac, all in one screen.
(It's a nice tool for consultants to have their customers download so that when they call they can tell you all about their Mac over the phone.)

Reaction score
You have a MacBookPro 8,2 introduced October 2011 discontinued June2012
this kernel panic could be a GPU issue.
your OSX is Yosemite.
Try a restart while holding the Shift key: it will start very slow, with only the minimum of OSX running.
Then run an Etrecheck list: www.etrecheck.com

Reaction score
Kernel panic Macbook Pro

Think this has already been mentioned but it is a kernel panic. That of course could mean many things. Looking at your picture I would draw attention to your drive or disk0s2 as the panic states it's damaged. As far as the Mac being older and what you can get out of it the answer is a lot. Main thing is overheating with time in many of the Macbook Pro's. If the machine is always very hot on the keys etc it's time to have someone re-thermal paste your logic board and clean your fans while the case is open. Mac's off craigslist etc are often being sold due to thermal problems, the comp overheats so much it is now dead so some ability to check temps without messing up your SMC is always nice.

Reaction score
EtreCheck

Thanks for the mention and link to EtreCheck! It's a great little app, going to use it all the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.