Play Blu Ray DVD's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
I've tried VLC Player and QT Player and they will not play Blu Ray DVD's. I do have an external DVD/Blu Ray Drive connected via USB to the back of my iMac. I know I'm missing something. Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great reminder about the DVD player. :)

By the way Sly:

Not only is the DVD player located there, but also a group of other useful applications, one of which is the handy "Network Utility.app".

I advise folks to create an "alias" to those useful apps and keep the aliases in your user Applications folder for easy access.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Not only is the DVD player located there, but also a group of other useful applications, one of which is the handy "Network Utility.app".

I advise folks to create an "alias" to those useful apps and keep the aliases in your user Applications folder for easy access.

Great find, Sly & Charlie. Some very useful apps there, as you remarked. Some aliases made as per your suggestion. Thanks!

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't remember where I picked up that ti, but it has proven useful from time to time.

Charlie, until I went searching for that DVD app, I had forgotten how much other useful stuff was in that folder. It never dawned on me to make an alias to that folder. It should have; I use aliases regularly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thank you for the link. I just tried the built in DVD player but that didn't work

I am a bit late here I'm sorry, but according to this Apple support article, DVD player.app cannot play Blu-ray discs.

DVD Player also doesn’t play other media, such as Blu-ray discs, or recognize video content burned onto certain types of DVD-RW discs.

Maybe have a look through the suggestions here or try some other sites with a Google search:

Like this:

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.