Photos not syncing from MacBook to iPhone

Reaction score
Firstly I apologise. I know I've raised this before and I cannot find the thread. I did all the things that were suggested on my last thread but still no luck.

If I take a photo on my iPhone it appears in my Photos on my MacBook eventually (sometimes quicker than others). Unfortunately it does not work the other way round. I take a lot of photos with my DSLR and put them into iPhoto (or whatever it's called these days) for editing and storage. In the past these edited photos would then appear on my iPhone. For about the past 9 months or so this has not been happening.

After my last thread on here I forked out for more iCloud storage as this was thought to be an issue. That didn't work.

This would not normally be an issue except that I now rely on instagram for marketing my home-based craft business, and as a workaround i have been having to email myself the photos, then open the email on my phone and then add the photos to instagram. There must be an easier way!

I can confirm that iCloud photos is ON on my phone, as is Upload to Photostream. 'Transfer to Mac or PC is set to 'automatic'.

Any gurus out there willing to troubleshoot this one for me? TIA :*

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi and welcome.

If you click on the link below, it will take you to a thread and if you then look at post #10, you will see my reply to another person.

If you use the settings laid out in that post, you will get all pictures added to the Photos app on your Mac, within "My Photo Stream" on your iPhone and any other iDevice associated with your Apple ID. I do this all the time.

Link: https://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/357066-photo-delay-icloud.html#post1851812

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you so much Ian.
Having looked into this a bit further, it seems I might have to purchase still more iCloud storage to make this possible. Do you think the lack of space might have been an issue all along?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes, it could be. The lady who asked the question was lacking storage space on her iPhone. By using the settings I suggested, you put your Mac centre stage, and it is from there that you sync to iCloud.

It may be the case that you need more iCloud storage space, but I suspect not. It may be a storage space issue on your iPhone. Can't say for sure as I don't know your exact set up.

But I do know that the settings I suggested work - in both directions, as regards your iPhone.

Thank you for your prompt and courteous reply.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.