Photo Library size

Reaction score
I’ve entirely reconstituted my Photo Library, but I’m a little uneasy about its size as reported by Finder. Before, I had about 30K photos on my MBA (OS 10.15.6), and the Photo Library was about 105GB. Since then, I have built up the Photo Library from scratch via Import with about 34K photos, but the new Photo Library is only 19GB. That's about .5MB per photo. What happened? Why the difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What is "from scratch"? Do you still have the "old" library database? Did you edit files in the old library?

I would open the old, and compare the same file in both libraries?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
In addition, in building this "new" library, did you import the images by copying the files into Photos? In Photos/Preferences, is this box checked?
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 2.25.47 PM.png

OP
tobindia
Reaction score
What is "from scratch"? Do you still have the "old" library database? Did you edit files in the old library?
"From scratch" means that I started from nothing. I held down the Option ket and started the Photos app. In the window that popped up, I clicked on "Create new" and imported over 40K files (.jpeg, etc.). I then ran PhotoSweeper to eliminate duplicates and ended up with my 34K photos.

I compared 2 photos from my old and new databases. An old photo (probably taken with a 3 or 4 megapixel camera) was 499KB on the old database and 476KB on the new. The newer photo (taken with an iPhone 11) was 4.9MB on both databases.

In addition, in building this "new" library, did you import the images by copying the files into Photos? In Photos/Preferences, is this box checked?
I'm not sure what you mean by "copying the files into Photos." I used Photos > File > Import... to import my 40K photos from multiple folders of 2-5K photos at a time.The Photos/Preferences that you referenced is checked.

OP
tobindia
Reaction score
I just noticed when I ran Diak Utility that I have Macintosh HD (11.29 GB Used) and Macintosh HD - Data (197.05 GB Used). I don't think that I had Macintosh HD - Data before. Could that have something to do with this? I ran Disk Utility First Aid against both of those volumes with no problems.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have updated macOS to Catalina, your drive is shown like this:

Macintosh HD (read only system)

Macintosh HD Data (your home folder, applications, etc. you have read/write permissions here)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
To add to what Charlie said, when you look at the drive(s) in Finder, the system merges the two volumes into one, Macintosh HD. Again, that is from upgrading to Catalina and is for additional security on the system drive.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@tobindia,

As far as the Mac’s Hard Drive is concerned, all is well. Don’t worry about nomenclature and the subdivisions created by Upgrading to Catalina. Ignore and move on :) ;)

As regards your Photos Library, the reduction in size may be related to your use of PhotoSweeper. It obviously found duplicates as you asked it to and maybe it was over zealous and maybe it/you deleted some originals along with the duplicates?? Whatever, I think you are probably all set up now and ready to go.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.