PERSONAL VOICE is a brilliant "app" on iOS 17.3.1 iPhones

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm posting this because I've found a lot of folks, including medics, who have never heard of this facility on the iPhone.

When an individual is facing a degradation of their speech, through old age or as a consequence of illness (Stroke, MS, ALS/MND, injury to the face etc...), their communication with others necessarily suffers.

Apple has a solution, not widely publicised, called Personal Voice.

It can be found in Settings > Accessibility > Scroll down a fair bit, and under the heading Speech, there are two options.

Tap on Personal Voice. Now Tap on "Create a Personal Voice". Give it a name when prompted "Your Name". Follow the instructions. This is a tiring process.so take your time. Apple will ask you to say aloud 150 phrases and sentences. This takes time; but you can stop at any time, have a break, and begin again. You can even spread this over a day or two. If Apple doesn't think you have spoken "clearly", it will ask you to repeat the task.

But really, it's not at all hard, to complete this in anything from 20 to 40 minutes in most cases.

Once done, connect your iPhone to a power source as you would to charge it and leave it over night. During that time, it will upload your Personal Voice to their servers. Next morning, into Settings > Accessibility > and now Tap on Personal Voice. You should see "Your Name Personal Voice" listed.

What you do now is type what you want to say. Absolutely anything goes. For example, "it's Moira's birthday on the twenty seventh". This will be "spoken" in your own voice - or as close as AI can match it.

You can repeat the whole process as many times as you like if you feel that the reproduction of your own voice could be better. It's early days, but this has huge potential for the future and is a life-line to those with speech problems. I thought it was worth mentioning.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Very cool, thanks for this Ian. I'm going to play around with it to see how it works.

The training kinda reminds of me the very old days of Dragon's Naturally Speaking which required a lot of training to be able to recognize anything you were saying.

NLP (natural language processing) has come a HUGE way since those early days for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.