Periodic (Well, Very Intermittent??) Post - People Interested In Tracking Satellites

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (2012) and MacBook Pro (2015)
This might be interesting to teachers, to amateur astronomers, etc. I am one of the (few?) people using Macs to in my satellite tracking hobby - if there are more they aren't very communicative!

There is an international group of professional and amateur astronomers that track satellites, there are many good reasons to do this that I could talk about via email. Almost all of them use Unix and a few use Windows.

So I track a bunch of satellites using my Macs, a used Nikon D200 DSLR, and my iPhone.

No I have not found a way to monetize this yet! Though I have not tried hard.

Yes there are web pages that help you track or observe satellites but they only give you a part of a larger solution. You can use Heaven's Above, etc to see satellites but I actually get "observations" and hopefully soon will be able to generate the orbits.

If you are interested you could go to my (free!) web page of course:

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This site treats URLs very oddly, if you want to go to another site that shows what I do with tracking data - go to the Optical Satellite Tracking page and go down to How To Use Macintosh Computers To Track Satellites. For some reason when I put that URL in directly it converts the URL to the Login To Google URL. Hmmmmm.

If I paste in the Optical Satellite Tracking URL and then retype the path - it converts it to the Login To Google URL!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This site treats URLs very oddly, if you want to go to another site that shows what I do with tracking data - go to the Optical Satellite Tracking page and go down to How To Use Macintosh Computers To Track Satellites. For some reason when I put that URL in directly it converts the URL to the Login To Google URL. Hmmmmm.
If you're referring to the link in post #1...it's works fine on my end.

Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're referring to the link in post #1...it's works fine on my end.

Nick
Nick -

Thanks, it's always handy to have someone check stuff. After the earlier "debacle" I figured out how to preview and see if the URL really works. Now if I could figure out why some very very similar URLs do not work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Since you may visit those sites often (and login as necessary). Stuff such as login & website information can & will be cached in your browser. The way around this is to clear your browser cache.

Since this would have been the 1st time for me visiting the site...my browser had nothing cached.

Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you may visit those sites often (and login as necessary). Stuff such as login & website information can & will be cached in your browser. The way around this is to clear your browser cache.

Since this would have been the 1st time for me visiting the site...my browser had nothing cached.

Nick
Nick -

Thanks but this isn't my first rodeo, that isn't the problem. When I figure out what the problem is, I'll post here.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This seems to work, oddly the problems seems to be with some permissions on the Google site!! Poor handling of error messages in various areas I would say, why wouldn't it say something about permissions? At least it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.