Parental Controls Issues

Reaction score
Okay, so just yesterday I set up parental controls on my account to see what it was like. It was experimental, I knew I probably wasn't going to keep it set up. So I created a new user account and made it administrator. Then I made my account just standard so I could manage it from the other one. Well, it turns out parental controls was really annoying with blocking sites/applications and all, so I went and turned off parental controls and deleted the other admin account. Then I made my account administrator again.
But it caused LOTS of problems!
Now, it still shows some sites and applications as blocked and I have to type in my OWN password to allow them!! And now it says that "Safari cannot establish a secure connection" with gmail! And on iChat it wouldn't let me get into my google talk account, so I deleted it and tried to set up a new one. But it wouldn't even give me a CHOICE to set up a google talk account!! The Jabber/Google Talk options completely disappeared in the iChat setup!!
So I've been having to use my Guest Account. And on my guest account it DOES allow me to go to gmail, so it must be the parental controls.
So I go to System Preferences and check the accounts panel, and it says on my account "Administrator, Managed"-- that's impossible!! Administrators cannot be managed by parental controls. HELP PLEASE!!!! I would create a new account, but I've done that before and transferring the files was a lot of work and I lost a lot of things. :( So if you know another way to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor
Some advice regarding Parental Controls testing-

I also do Parental Controls experimentation, however, after I read your post I definitely need to advise you on one thing....when you do Parental Controls testing, just create an account for testing & do it on THAT ACCOUNT. It seems like you tried to test it on your own account, which is just silly. It sounds to me like even though you turned Parental Controls off, some of it's settings stuck around. You should probably visit your nearest Apple Store Genius Bar to help you with the issue. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Okay, so just yesterday I set up parental controls on my account to see what it was like.

But it caused LOTS of problems!

So I've been having to use my Guest Account. And on my guest account it DOES allow me to go to gmail, so it must be the parental controls.

First off you need to tell us what OS you are using - there are differences between Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard. If u had been doing things SAFELY then you could just do a restore from your back up copy. If u don't have a back up then fixing your account could be very time consuming. Perhaps better to add a New Admin account and start setting that up fresh and then saving what you need to from your old account for adding to the new account as needed. Then at some later stage you can delete the old corrupt account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.