• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Panasonic to Halt Plasma TV Production 2014 - Good or Bad News for buyers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
liab - been meaning to check all my settings and just haven't gotten to it - but there should be somewhere in the TV settings to use it's scaler to upscale everything to 1080p.

Nope... the HDTV settings have a "shared" option for 1080i/p. I can't find anything anywhere to prefer one over the other. I've done some digging and this is a particular criticism of the Hopper in at least one AV forum I found when comparing the Hopper to other devices. From what they said, if you select programming that is 1080p (available only for certain VOD and PPV offerings... it'll have a "1080p" logo instead of an "HD" logo in the program information), the the Hopper will poll the connected TV (or AVR if in-between) to see if it supports 1080p. If so, it will switch to 1080p for that programming only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.