OWC SSD Upgrade Kit Adhesive Tape Failure!!!

Reaction score
I recently upgraded two late 2015 iMAC 27" 5K Retina computers with OWC upgrade kits. I'm not a novice and have upgraded several iMacs and MacBooks with OWC products. I am extremely meticulous with my installs, right down to ensuring the removal of the old adhesive tape and the surfaces cleaned thoroughly. My company just authorized an ongoing upgrade program for all of our MACs. Long story short. After about one week of the install, one of the 27" iMac's LED Screen fell forward, without external disturbance, and seriously cracked the glass. After examining the components, it was apparent that the adhesive tape failed in several sections along the edges. Within two days after the first iMAC screen crack, the second one fell forward while my coworkers and I were on a zoom meeting. It too cracked beyond repair or use. Keep in mind; I consider my skills and experience as advanced. I've been repairing PCs since the IBM Clone days. After installing the screens, I apply palm pressure along the edges to ensure bonding and set the iMacs on their backside overnight to be sure.

Given that OWC has been in business since the '80s and their ongoing growth and success, I expected a reasonable resolution. I figured they probably changed tape vendors this year, or perhaps I received a tape kit from a lousy product lot. When I called customer service, their representatives assured me that OWC would take care of me. That's what their website reads "Commitment to Exemplary Customer Service." I expected no less. However, after activating my case, I had to call daily, send photos and emails. I even ask them to consider offering me a discount on refurbished LED Screens. The reply I received from the Lead Support Team was this was a result of a faulty install. Thier observations of my photos concluded that I had not removed the old tape, and the screen cracks resulted from prying pressure. WHAT? I continued climbing their customer service ladder and reached a supervisor. From the beginning of our conversation, it was apparent that OWC was not accepting any responsibility. I pointed out that their install videos fail to caution the user to be mindful of the possibility of adhesive tape failure and how to prevent it.

The bottom line here is that I want the consumer to know about this quality problem and how OWC will respond. The supervisor offered to sell me two screens at $600 each after I already spent over $1400 on this purchase, not to mention the thousands of dollars in previous orders. Their SSD and memory products are good, but they sell a kit that includes low-quality adhesive tape. PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Yours is not the first incident of the tape adhesive failing that was provided by OWC. I wish you had come here first as we would have warned you. Too late for that.

The best kits are sold by the folks at ifixit.com. Their tape is like that of the original that Apple uses.

Not sure what you can do with getting OWC to accept some responsibility for the poor tape quality. We will leave that up to you.

Thanks for reporting this to us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I only fit VHB strips from kits supplied by Apple and have never had problems. The Apple strips use VHB (very high bond) adhesive strips on each side of a very thin strip of black foam. This is so that when the display is removed the thin plastic cutting wheel simply cuts through the foam. When the display is removed the adhesive strips remain both on the iMac and the display. They are then peeled off and cleaned up with isopropyl alcohol. When refitting the display I use a foam wedge between the stand and rear of the iMac to keep it steady. Apply VHB strips, lay the display in and align horizontally and attach a strip of wide strong masking tape between the the base of the display and the aluminium below to act as a hinge. Cautiously lower the display from the top, pull off the backing strips on the bottom 2 strips, then pull off all the other backing strips and partially close the display, leaving enough space to insert your hand and plug in the 2 display cables. Then fully close and press down by hand, remove the masking tape and use a soft roller to push down on the display edges. I use an old sticky roller (no longer sticky) that was originally used to remove dust from the display and LCD on earlier iMac's. I've lost count of the times I've done this, never with any issues. The 2017 and 2019 iMac's use a bottom VHB strip with a cutout to match the microphone hole.

What is a pain and causes problems, is if a user has taken the display off, and used ordinary double sided tape to refit the display rather than VHB strips. The cutting disk simply gets gummed up as there's no foam to cut through, and it takes forever to remove. I've also seen iMac where the customer has previously removed the display, and fixed it back in a very messy way with clear tape, very risky.

I've never seen an OWC VHB strip, so can't comment if they differ from Apple's. Their memory and MBA/MBPr SSD's are good, I use them regularly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.