Outook for Mac and safari issues

Reaction score
I am using Mac OSX 10.14.6 Mojave

Recently for some unknown reason Outlook for Mac keeps dropping out from server. Occasionally I can receive mail and less frequently send mail. This being the case I have to revert to going to my main provider BT to ensure I am up to date with e-mails. Also I have noticed Safari is a bit hit and miss when trying to connect to the net. However if I switch over to Firefox I do not have a problem.

I have identical settings on my ipad and iphone and no issues. So a little bemused. Would the addition of Norton antivirus have something to do with this??

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Before everyone jumps on you for it, you should remove Norton as you definitely don't need that.

How long has this issue been going on? Have you tried removing and re-adding the mail account? Do you get timeouts in Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Not "jumping on you" but did the problem start when you installed Norton? If so, that's the culprit. Get rid of it, as Ashwin suggested. You don't need it and it doesn't do anything for you. There are no viruses for it to detect.

OP
C
Reaction score
Not "jumping on you" but did the problem start when you installed Norton? If so, that's the culprit. Get rid of it, as Ashwin suggested. You don't need it and it doesn't do anything for you. There are no viruses for it to detect.

It has got worse since Norton, but did have the issue from time to time beforehand. Will get rid of Norton and see if a difference.

The reason I added extra protection is that I do some on-line banking for an organisation so thought added protection may be a safety blanket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When you say "Outlook for Mac", is that part of the Microsoft Office suite, or are you only accessing Outlook through your browsers?

OP
C
Reaction score
When you say "Outlook for Mac", is that part of the Microsoft Office suite, or are you only accessing Outlook through your browsers?

It is Outlook for Mac as part of the Office Suite.

I have taken out Norton Antivirus but he problem still persists but intermittently re sending of e-mails. I have deleted and re input my e-mail account details on Outlook and when opening up, it works OK for sending e-mails, but later lapses into the problem again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.