Outboard monitor

Artpulis

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Mac with a Radeon pro 580 graphics card. I am running two outboard monitors, one of which is an old Apple one. That one intermittently goes off and on, and I can figure a correlation of why. Does anyone know a way to test to see if the problem is with my computer or with the monitor. I don't mind replacing the monitor, but hate to do so if the problem is in the graphics card. Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you have another computer that you could connect the monitor to long enough to test it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Looks like you have a 27" 2017 iMac. This 27" iMac can support either a single external display at 5k resolution...or two external displays at 4k resolution (or less).

Thus knowing the exact models of the external displays could help in solving the issue.

My guess is it's not the iMac's graphics hardware. If it was the iMac's graphics hardware...the iMac's builtin display would most likely have an issue as well.

My guess is the issue is with the external display is:

1. The display itself has an issue.
2. Maybe a bad video cable.
3. Maybe a bad video adapter (if you needed a video adapter to connected to your iMac...since you mentioned this was an older Apple display).
4. Or maybe one of the connections was loose.

But definitely do what Slydude suggested...and connect the possible problem display to a different computer (Windows or a Mac) to see if the issue persists. This could be the fastest troubleshooting method.

Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good points Nick I didn't think of that. I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.