Out with the old....

Reaction score
My MBP 16" bought new in 2021 (2019 model last of the intel machines I suspect) is being replaced by an MBP M3 Max

I'm quite excited. I missed out on the release of the M1 when I bought the '21 model, by a few months I think.
I'm thinking i'll notice some big differences between the intel powered machine and the Apple silcon.

Hopefully no issues arise. My delivery window from Apple is 28th November to 5th December.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes, it's always nice to be excited by a new Mac and I hope it arrives on time and that you enjoy it.

There shouldn't be any problem transferring your settings and documents, photos etc to the new Mac if you use your Time Machine backup from the old.

Keep us posted.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, it's always nice to be excited by a new Mac and I hope it arrives on time and that you enjoy it.

There shouldn't be any problem transferring your settings and documents, photos etc to the new Mac if you use your Time Machine backup from the old.

Keep us posted.

Ian
Alwqys get a buzz at a new Mac! Can't say I've ever used TimeMachine to back-up before. I'll work it out I guess. Been using Macs since the demise release of OS9 and the first iteration of OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Hi Jag500 - I just setup a new M2 MBAir using a TM disk which went fine (had to sort out some 'Find My..' issues) - posted HERE if interested. Good luck. Dave

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If both devices are running the same macOS as was the case with my 2015 13" MBP to 2021 14" M1 MBP you can do a wireless transfer using Migration Assistant.
Of course it's still a very good idea to have a backup, eg Time Machine or clone but I was impressed at how easy this process was.
Here are Apple's instructions; Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant

There is just one pitfall in the process.
Obviously you need to perform an initial setup on the new device prior to this process, just to access Migration Assistant if nothing else.

Ensure that you recreate exactly the same user name and password on the new machine as your have on the old one if you intend the new machine to replace the old machine. This was my intention so that was what I did.

Now when you get to "On your new Mac; Step 2" you must choose "Replace" it seems a bit odd and confusing but if you don't do this ie. choose "Rename" instead, you will end up with two identical user accounts, one empty and the other with all your data from the older device.

So, although you have already created a duplicate user account with the same user name and admin password you must choose "Replace" with the one from the old machine.

Anyway, that's what I did, and the result, which takes a while (I let it run o/night) is a complete duplicate of the old device on the new one.

In the morning I shut down the old MBP and began using the new M1. At a later date I erased the old MBP and repurposed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I will be upgrading to a 14" M3max. It arrives Thursday and guess who will be waiting for it! I plan to use Migration Assistant as I am moving from a 14' M1max to the M3max. If all goes well and I like the M3 my M1 will have a new home waiting for it. One nice thing is if I don't decide to keep it I have until January 8, 2024 to return it. Apple has a holiday extention.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.