Optical versus Digital Zoom in iPhone 13 Pro

Reaction score
I understand my new iPhone 13 Pro has 3 lens. My question is does the camera change from optical to digital zoom as I zoom in, especially if I'm in the 3X telephoto lens and zoom past the the 3X setting? And if so, how much does the image degrade once the camera is in the digital zoom range. And how do I know I'm in digital rather than optical zoom? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Yes, it changes automatically and seamlessly. You know you are in digital zoom because you are above 3.0 zoom on the screen. As for degradation, there must be some, but I haven't really tested to see if it's significant or not. You can try it for yourself to see the difference. Beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
There is some degradation when you go from optical to digital zoom. This is not so apparent on the iPhone when you view the images; but is definitely noticeable if you import the photographs into an iMac with a 21 inch screen & even more so if it has a 27 inch screen.

The pictures are still acceptable though.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. They are very much appreciated. Am I correct in that if I zoom somewhere between the .5X lens and the 1X lens, I am in the digital zoom mode? And if I am somewhere between the 1X and 3X lenses, I have to be in the digital zoom range as well since the three lenses have fixed focal lengths? And does that mean there's image degradation when I choose settings between these fixed focal length lenses? I'm just trying to get the best image quality possible regardless of zoom setting. And yes I am a nerd. Thank you again for the information!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.