Older iMac Connection Issue

Reaction score
I have an old iMac from 07ish I believe that I use when I am out in the garage working on bikes and what not, up until about 6-9 months ago I could always get on the net with no issues. Within the last year my internet company (Metronet) upgraded me to an Eero wireless set up so I can get gig speed. Since then the iMac can no longer connect to the internet whenever I try to log in the iMac network screen asks for a log in name and password and when I try to connect it fails. Is the hardware and software on the iMac just too old at this point to work? Or am I overlooking something? I have left the user name blank and tried random things that I would think the name would be but no luck. The software version on the iMac is 10.6.8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Try moving the iMac or the router from Metronet a few inches. That may improve the signal strength at the iMac. Walls and things on walls can attenuate the signal, so the closer the iMac is to the router and the fewer things there are between them the better it will perform.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect that with the new router the type of security it's using is not compatible with your older iMac. All new routers will require at least WPA2. Your older iMac may still be using WEP which is no longer acceptable.

OP
ryanp77
Reaction score
I suspect that with the new router the type of security it's using is not compatible with your older iMac. All new routers will require at least WPA2. Your older iMac may still be using WEP which is no longer acceptable.
TBH that was what I was thinking but wasn’t sure and just wanted to here another opinion

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I suspect that with the new router, the type of security it's using is not compatible with your older iMac. All new routers will require at least WPA2. Your older iMac may still be using WEP, which is no longer acceptable.
Good thought, Charlie.

I almost suggested that the OP get a wireless dongle that supports at least WPA 2. I've used one, but the problem is that sometimes moving from one version of the OS to another may cause the dongle to stop working.

OP
ryanp77
Reaction score
Good thought, Charlie.

I almost suggested that the OP get a wireless dongle that supports at least WPA 2. I've used one, but the problem is that sometimes moving from one version of the OS to another may cause the dongle to stop working.
I tried that as well, I have a little usb dongle and it used to work but no longer does

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
It may be that the new router is by default set for the newer frequencies, (802.11a/b/g/ etc). It *could* be as simple as logging into the router admin screen and ensure that - if available - the proper network is made available that your old iMac can connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Pro CPU, 16 GB, 512G SSD
Can you connect to the router using the ethernet cable?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.