old dog, new mac, missing keys

Reaction score
Hi All - this forum has been very helpful during my first week of migrating over. Here's the situation. A good deal of my work needs to be done on Windows VMs. And the missing piece for me are the missing keys. Delete, Home, PageUP, PageDown. There are work-arounds for everything, I can two-figure click the touch pad, pull up a menu and click delete instead of using a Delete key. I can manually scroll to the top of a screen instead of using a Home key. I think all of this is specific to using the Mac keyboard on a Windows VM, because within Mac OS everything seems simple and intuitive now.

So any advice how how to deal with those missing keys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Use the arrow keys in combination with the "fn" key.

fn left is Home; fn right is End; fn up is Page Up; fn down is Page Down

M

MacInWin

fn key also works with the Delete key. Delete on the Mac is more like a backspace key, but with fn and Delete, it deletes forward like on Windows (which, btw, never made any sense to me in the first place).

OP
D
Reaction score
GREAT!!!!... I never knew what that fn button was for. Nor did I realize before that those keys along the top have other uses than just turning volume up. :)

Another quick one then... in Windows if I had multiple documents open, say in Word. I could hit the F6 key to bounce between the open docs within the same app. So far in Mac OS it looks like I have to go to the window menu and select the specific document from that list.

So... anything like the Windows F6 key in Mac OS?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So... anything like the Windows F6 key in Mac OS?

I use Command Tab in MS Word for the Mac to do the same thing. By the way, that also works to switch between apps that are open.

OP
D
Reaction score
So, Command Tab seems to switch between apps, but not between docs in the same app like the old F6 key did on Windows. Or am I not seeing something?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, sorry about that. You have to use "spaces" which would be F3 on your keyboard instead. In other words, you would need to put doc 1 and doc 2 in separate spaces and switch between them that way. Not as convenient as using F6 in Windows Word. By the way, the use of F6 is actually a Windows thing not specifically MS Word.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.