Notes vanished from my iPhone - help

Reaction score
Hey all, first time post

The last 2 or so years of notes just completely disappeared on me. Nothing was manually deleted, nothing was linked to any iCloud or email account. Just, simply gone. It happened sometime between a failed MacBook Pro backup, and a successful iCloud iPhone backup. They are not in said iCloud.

I've troubleshoot all the common issues given from Apple. I had no recent backup, nothing was connected to mail, nothing was recently deleted, etc. I even connected my phone to the highest rated Data Recovery programs, and somehow deleted notes from a decade ago are there, but none of the new notes that have vanished.

Does anyone have a similar experience that they might know where they could be?

PLEASE HELP! These notes are essentially my livelihood with so much work information stored on there. Thanks!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, and thank you for your post.

You must be feeling pretty miserable just now, but let's see if we can help you:)

How were you backing up your iPhone? To your MacBook Pro via iTunes - or more recently via Music?

Or did you prefer to back it up to iCloud via Settings > Your Name > iCloud > iCloud Backup?

When you said "I had no recent backup", to what are you referring? The iPhone and/or the MacBook Pro?

If you never backed up the iPhone at all - well that is not so good news.

Have you tried Force Booting your iPhone? I don't know which iPhone you have and the Force Booting varies. See here for all the rebooting options for the whole range of iPhones.

Choose yours and give it a try.

Good fortune:)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would just power off the iPhone and then power it back on to see if the Notes reappear. I'd do that before any forced restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'd really like a time line of what exactly was done. "It happened sometime between a failed MacBook Pro backup, and a successful iCloud iPhone backup. They are not in said iCloud." At this point we still don't know if the iPhone was backed up to the MBP.
You also say you performed, "a successful iCloud iPhone backup." but then say, "I had no recent backup".

So, what I can say is that assuming you are logged into iCloud on both your MBP and your iPhone and the default settings in System Preferences > iCloud were unchanged then all of your notes should appear on both devices.

I would suggest that you switch off and switch back on both devices as has already been suggested and I would like to know more about this, "failed MacBook Pro backup",

Lastly if you did perform a successful iCloud backup of you iPhone then your notes should be on the iCloud web site iCloud
Have you checked this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.