Non Serviceable parts inside MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15-inch, Late 2011 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
I wanted to ask how others fell about the MBPs that have come out that you can't do anything on the inside with them. I'm so used to when I worked on PCs that if I wanted to upgrade or replace a component that I would have the option to do it. The new MBP that's being sent to me (Apple is replacing my late 2011 MBP due to too many issues) will have no user serviceable parts inside. If I wanted to change out anything I was told that you'd HAVE to have Apple do it.
I don't know about others (that's why I'm asking) but I feel that my hands are tied and have no options to fix or replace any components myself. What do you think or feel about this??

DJ Bear

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Get used to it. ;) Nowadays, even PCs are the same way... soldered in memory modules, integrated graphic chipsets, PCIe flash memory soldered in, etc, etc. That's why purchasing Apple Care or an extended warranty for your new computer is important. If you want to see a PC with no user serviceable parts inside, take a look at the new MS Surface Pro Book 4 or even their Surface Pro 4 Tablet.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I wanted to ask how others fell about the MBPs that have come out that you can't do anything on the inside with them. I'm so used to when I worked on PCs that if I wanted to upgrade or replace a component that I would have the option to do it. The new MBP that's being sent to me (Apple is replacing my late 2011 MBP due to too many issues) will have no user serviceable parts inside. If I wanted to change out anything I was told that you'd HAVE to have Apple do it.
I don't know about others (that's why I'm asking) but I feel that my hands are tied and have no options to fix or replace any components myself. What do you think or feel about this??

There are two aspects to this post.

1. Comparing Windows laptop serviceability to Apple laptop serviceability (2011 vs 2011 models). Is a 2011 Windows laptop really that much more serviceable than a 2011 Apple laptop?

2. Comparing a 2011 Apple laptop to a 2015 Apple laptop (I'm assuming that the new MBP you're getting is a 2015). With the 2011 MBP…about the only things that are upgradeable were the ram & storage (and with a special kit could replace the optical drive with a 2nd HD or SSD). And of course 2011 MBP's can be opened up…and there are lots of parts in there that can be user replaced (keyboard, trackpad, logic board, mag-safe board, speakers, battery, etc.).

Yes…Apple laptops from the past 2-3 years are less serviceable/upgradeable (soldered in ram & difficult to upgrade storage) than they used to be. This issue was more of a hot topic a couple years ago. Long time Mac-Users have gotten sort of used to the non-upgreadeable aspect of newer MBP's. The "trick" now when purchasing a MBP…is to purchase it with as much ram & storage as the purchaser will ever need.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is like when the Bondi Blue came with no floppy drive, darned Apple!

It is called progress. Desktops, including iMacs and Mac Pros and even Minis are the same. I sused to service my car also in 2000, can't now with computer doodads, sensors and thingamebobs.

C

chas_m

Just to add to this: while I'm not an especially big fan of non-user-upgradeable parts (even though maybe 2 percent of computer users ever actually do upgrades), as a former tech that worked on Apple stuff I cannot argue with the fact that since Apple and other companies started sealing up more of their computers, the repair likelihood has dropped tremendously.

That said, if you're one of the people who does get a machine that has a problem (not caused by user abuse), you have to take it into the shop to get it fixed, and it is likely (if not covered by warranty, but they are for up to three years, and most genuine defects start rearing their heads LONG before then) to be expensive.

If I'm truthful, I have to say that when it comes to my own machines, I have been lucky enough to never need to "repair" them, but I have replaced drives and added RAM on them. When the point comes where I have to use a machine where I can't do that, I'll be a bit disappointed -- but since there's not really an option going forward, I'll have to do my homework and get a machine that I think will last without any "enhancements."

OP
DJBearOH
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15-inch, Late 2011 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Hey Nick,
You're right, they sent me a mid 2015 15"MBP, 16GB memory. I have a problem though. All my apps that I had on my older MBP won't load up on here. I see them in the App Store and the button says "open" and when I try, you can see on the dock that it flashed the icon and then shut down again. Any idea on how I can get my apps back and onto the new computer? If not, I can start a new thread for it. Thanks!

DJ

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...they sent me a mid 2015 15"MBP, 16GB memory.

Congrats on the new computer. 16gig of ram is very nice. How much storage does it have?

I have a problem though. All my apps that I had on my older MBP won't load up on here. I see them in the App Store and the button says "open" and when I try, you can see on the dock that it flashed the icon and then shut down again. Any idea on how I can get my apps back and onto the new computer? If not, I can start a new thread for it.

What OS version were you running on the 2011 MacBook Pro? I'm going to assume the new computer has El Capitan on it (latest OS).

- Nick

OP
DJBearOH
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pogo, it came with a 1TB ssd. I'm blown away by how fast it reboots. NICE!!!

OP
DJBearOH
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, yeah, was running El Capitan on it. I called Apple Care and they couldn't figure why when I go to the App Store that I don't get the "download" button. Was on the phone with them for about 40 mins or so and even talked with a senior advisor. Bottom line is he could talk to some tech department and have to wait until about Mon or Tues for a response or try a reinstall. I opted for the install. I've been without my laptop for over a week so I said I'd try the reinstall and if it didn't work I would call the senior advisor back tomorrow and let him know.

Here's keeping my fingers crossed.

DJ Bear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into the App Store and elect "Purchases' and all should be available for download.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.