No Router Number - Can't Connect via Ethernet

Reaction score
I'm trying to connect to the internet using an ethernet cord. The cord is connected, but it is a yellow dot and no Router number is showing up. This message shows:

Ethernet has a self assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet.

I usually use wifi and googling my problem has not given me info, so I'm at a loss.
At the start when I plugged it in there was a green dot, but no internet connection. I messed around with the settibg (probably making it worse), now it's a yellow dot.

Reaction score
Which settings did you mess around with? The router or in System Preferences?
In System Preferences you need to set it for DCHP, not an IP address. Look under advanced,TCP/IP. Should be a drop-down menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Can I assume the "cord" that you are connecting is connected to your router?

If so go to setting preferences ->network -> click on the ethernet connection then click on advanced (you may have to click on the lock and put in your password).

In advanced click on the TCP/IP tab and make sure the setting for Configure IPv4 is set to "Using DHCP" and Configure IPv6 is set to "Automatic"

The error you are getting indicates that there is a static address set in in the Configure IPv4 and it is not compatible with your router. If this does not work post back and I will need to know what is providing IP addresses to your network (should be your router) and if the router is set to automatically provide IP addresses using DHCP.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You might want to start over and shutdown everything, Mac and the router, pull out it's power connector and wait a minute or so. If the address was 169.xxx, it's a dummy address and you get anywhere with it.

Then boot up everything in order, from the wall ISP connector and router out and then the Mac last, making sure everything is stabilized and connected before doing the next thing.

Then in the Network Pref Pane, click Assist Me… then Diagnostics and follow the prompts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.