No links.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi all,

Been a while with bad health. Anyway, my problem is that for a few days now, when I click on a link for a website I only get to Firefox (117.0 64bit ).

I'm on a mid 2013 macbook air 6.2 with Big Sur 11.7.9. I replaced the ssd with a 1TB ssd quite a while ago, so I don't see that it can have anything to do with that. I replaced the battery two or three weeks ago, but the links still worked up until a few days ago.

Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Do the links actually have a URL in them, I have know for links to "lose" the URL, so although looking like links, are just plain text.

Also where are the links, i.e. browser, toolbar, tabs, and who made them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If what you want is a different browser, right-click on a link, then see what that link is set to open with. Whatver is the default will be shown. I'm betting it's going to be Firefox. If you want a different browser to be the default, open that browser and look for how to make it the default. Typically browsers offer that option to be the system default. You can also look in Preferences to see if there is a default browser setting there. I'm on Ventura, which is really different, so I can't get more specific for you.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks,
Do the links actually have a URL in them, I have know for links to "lose" the URL, so although looking like links, are just plain text.

Also where are the links, i.e. browser, toolbar, tabs, and who made them.
Thanks, Jimmysb, Here's a link that I've tried. It's looking like it normally does, but just go's to Firefox.

That's strange. I've just clicked on the link above, that I posted and it worked.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If what you want is a different browser, right-click on a link, then see what that link is set to open with. Whatver is the default will be shown. I'm betting it's going to be Firefox. If you want a different browser to be the default, open that browser and look for how to make it the default. Typically browsers offer that option to be the system default. You can also look in Preferences to see if there is a default browser setting there. I'm on Ventura, which is really different, so I can't get more specific for you.
Thanks, but I'm happy with Firefox. I did right click on the link, but it didn't come up but it didn't tell me which browser is selected.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, I've just right clicked on links and clicked "open link in browser" or, depending on what comes up, I click on "open link in new tab" and it worked, where previously all I did was left clicked on the link. So something's changed in Firefox, I think.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

I've just realised that a link will open OK if Firefox is open. If not I only get the Firefox page and nothing else.

Last edited:
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to finish this off. It all now is back to normal. It got me wondering if a Firefox update caused it. Who knows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.