No bootable device -- insert bootdisk

Reaction score
Hi all,

i've got a Macbook Air 11" and tried to install Windows 7 in Bootcamp, but i can't use the mousepad/Keyboard when i should put info. about username/password in Windows 7 Setup. So i deleted the partition, so it is one single disk now. But now it says "No bootable device -- insert bootdisk" I tried before to install Windows and it made the same issue, so i deleted the partition and nothing went wrong. But this time (seccond time) It says that..

i'm using El Captain 10.11.6.

What to do?

Thank you very much!

- Andreas

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Are you able to boot into El Capitan? The proper way to remove the Windows 7 partition was to use the Boot Camp assistant. If you deleted the partition any other way, you may have caused damage to your disk, which is why we need to know if you can boot into OS X. You can try to boot using Command plus R to see if you can get into your Recovery partition. Let us know.

And... did you make a backup before trying to install Windows 7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Then check the version of BootCamp in El Capitan. Windows 7 will only install on versions 4 and 5.1. You may well be using version 6.

OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Are you able to boot into El Capitan? The proper way to remove the Windows 7 partition was to use the Boot Camp assistant. If you deleted the partition any other way, you may have caused damage to your disk, which is why we need to know if you can boot into OS X. You can try to boot using Command plus R to see if you can get into your Recovery partition. Let us know.

And... did you make a backup before trying to install Windows 7?

I can only boot up in OSX when i hold down ALT after i turning on the machine, and choose the only HDD, then it boot up in OSX.

But not automatic when i turn the machine on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When you are logged in to the computer, open System Preferences. Look for and click on Startup Disk, make sure your start up disk is selected. If it is selected let us know, and if it is not selected, select it now and then restart the computer. Did this help? Let us know if it did or did not help.

OP
M
Reaction score
There is only one disk in there, and i can't select it (maybe it is because it is selected? )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Is there a Lock icon in the lower left corner? If so, click on it and enter your Admin info. Now you should be able to select your startup disk now.

OP
M
Reaction score
ferrarr! Yeah, that help! i should just push the lock icon, enter my password, choose the OSX disk (the only one) And now it just boot up in OSX!

Thank you very much!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.