New Model vs older Model Macbook pro

Reaction score
I am purchasing a new laptop for a college student. Other than possible processor speed, is there any advantage to spending several $100 for the "latest" model vs purchasing say a brand new 2012 model that has a slightly slower processing speed but more features?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The processor speed numbers are a little deceptive. Each generation of the MBP comes with a newer generation processor that performs better than the previous generation at lower rated speeds. Additionally, overall performance is not just a factor of the processor in play but also the speed of the RAM and storage.

So the Retina MBP, for example, comes with SSD storage that for the 2012 model is around 500 MB/s read, write.. the 2013 model bumped that up to 800 MB/s read, write, where the latest generation rMBP's are up to 2.5 GB/s read, write..

The latest generation forgoes a lot of the different connectors for all USB-C ports which require dongles, but the 2015 and previous models don't..

So..perhaps you can tell us what your budget is and what kinds of things the laptop would be used for. The use of the laptop will go a long way in letting us know to recommend a particular variant over another..

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,
The person I am purchasing is for is a college Junior, but will be attending medical school after that, so I am purchasing it for her grandmother to give as a Christmas gift. She wants it to last through Medical school. I have a 2012 model but if the read write is that much faster I can see where the newer model would pay off in the long run. I have quoted her a price of $1199 for a 2012 Macbook pro I found on Ebay. I just want her to have the best that she can get for the $.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some advice: Stay away from eBay and possibly save yourself a headache and maybe a return conflict. Not all purchases on eBay are that way, but nowadays there are so many fraudulent sellers especially with Apple products because of their high resale value and popularity. A 2012 MacBook Pro is already 4 years old and definitely will likely not last through a medical school education. I can understand where finances may be a problem, but buying something that will last is going to cost more than your stated budget.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Agree with chscag. A 2012 computer is 4 years old...then probably add about 4 years for medical school...and you're talking an 8 year-old computer. Older Apple computers sometimes become obsolete/semi-obsolete not because they're slow...but because they can no longer run the latest OS version.

If you're trying to balance "newness" and cost...check out the Apple refurbished area.:)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

+1 for the Apple refurbished machines. They come with a full Apple warranty and are eligible for AppleCare extended warranty if the grandson wants to buy that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.