New macbook battery down to 94%health

Reaction score
Hi.

I recently bought a new battery for my ageing 15" MacBook retina mid 2014.
I bought one that promised to be genuine apple battery and was happy to pay £80 for it.
I fitted the battery without to much trouble.
Did the usual setting resets. Charged the battery up and then used until drained to condition it.
The next day I noticed it was on 97% health and then while I was messaging the seller it suddenly dropped to 94% health.
They have told me to send it back for a refund. But what a ball ache.1st having to remove it and then wait for the refund.
Is it normal to do this.
Any recommendations for a legit seller please.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Charged the battery up and then used until drained to condition it.

This is NOT what you do with new Lithium batteries. I'm not saying that your action caused the problem; but if/when you get another battery, don't repeat the process. Charge it up to 100% and recharge when - opinions vary - it gets down to 30, 40, 50 per cent. Others just keep the battery "topped up". But don'r discharge it to zero.

You can read about Apple and others' Lithium batteries using Google. Choose any of the reputable sites including Apple's own.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Ian has it right. Lithium batteries do NOT like deep discharges. The process you used was goof for the old NiCad battery, that required that "conditioning" to avoid battery "memory," but Lithium batteries don't have the memory problem at all.

krs

Reaction score
This is NOT what you do with new Lithium batteries. I'm not saying that your action caused the problem; but if/when you get another battery, don't repeat the process. Charge it up to 100% and recharge when - opinions vary - it gets down to 30, 40, 50 per cent. Others just keep the battery "topped up". But don'r discharge it to zero.
I was looking at OWC video to replace a battery on a 2012 MBair and that is exactly what they tell you to do with a replaement battery. Not only discharge it to zero but leave it sit like that for 5 hours to make sure it's completely discharged.

krs

Reaction score
Ian has it right. Lithium batteries do NOT like deep discharges. The process you used was goof for the old NiCad battery, that required that "conditioning" to avoid battery "memory," but Lithium batteries don't have the memory problem at all.
This recommended charge/discharge ycle has nothing to do with any "memory" effect (which those batteries don't have in any case) - this is required for the power system calibration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back then, yes. Now, no. Apple also used to recommend repeating the process once a month. All it does is get the % and life remaining indicators slightly closer to accurate. Since the rate of discharge/remaining time is dependent on what you do, that process is not necessary, and is hard on the battery.

Just. Say. No.

krs

Reaction score
Back then, yes. Now, no.
What changed?
The OP replaced the battery on a 2014 Mac which to me is "back then"

I have not researched this further (although I may have to if I end up replacing the battery in a 2012 MBa),but from what I read so far, the battery calibration procedure required seems to depend on the macOS one is actually running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What changed is that Apple learned about Lithium batteries. Originally, they gave out advice that was appropriate for NiCad (conditioning), but that cycle is hard on Lithium batteries. The original advice was to discharge the batteries fully every time. Then it changed to monthly, to "calibrate" the battery circuits, not the battery. But, as I said, how long a battery lasts doesn't depend as much on the level in the battery as it does on how it is used. So, instead of trying to estimate battery time they started showing (and emphasizing) battery percentage left. Now they don't even show any time estimate at all, just a percentage.

So, what changed is that Apple got smarter since 2014. The chemistry is the same. OWC's video is out of date and wrong.

OP
D
Reaction score
Wow.you live and you learn(hopefully)
Apart from me reading out of date info on conditioning the battery, it really shouldn't have dropped to 94% health so soon should it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it should not have dropped that much. But before doing anything else, I would get coconutBattery and see what it reports: coconutBattery 3.9.7 - by coconut-flavour.com

Depending on what version macOS you have, you may need to look for an older version of the software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.