New iMac vs old Monitor

Reaction score
I was on the point of splashing out £2k+ on a brand new top of the range iMac when the chap in the Apple Store (whose guidance I would never otherwise have doubted) told me I wouldn't be able to use my old and trusty second monitor. In fact he also suggested it was also impossible with my present iMac. But I can, and here's the evidence - so it made me hesitate in case some of the old wizardry has been superseded by some kind of new magic that will prevent it. Can anyone suggest any reason why I might not be able to upgrade, or was he possibly misinformed? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3591.jpg
    IMG_3591.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3592.jpg
    IMG_3592.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 9

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But I can, and here's the evidence...
If it's working...I think that's your answer.:)

Unfortunately...with the average person (including Apple store employees)...if the answer doesn't pop into their mind immediately...then the answer usually is "can't do it". Plus store employees of any sort (Apple or otherwise)...want to sell you something...thus they are more prone to saying "can't do it"...in the hopes of selling you something.

When it comes to older monitors paired with newer computers...sure...there are probably combinations out there that won't work. But with the plethora of adapters out there (some of them special purpose)...there's a good chance of success.

Of course with Apple monitors (one of them pictured)...Apple does change things quite a bit...changing the connectors/ports frequently. Especially years & years ago...when Apple used to use very unique non-standard video connectors (video cables that sometimes carried audio, video, input device signal, and power to the monitor). Such as the Apple ADC connector. With these Apple monitors...there is less of a chance of compatibility with new computers in 2022.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, thanks, - it's working as pictured - on my current 2017 iMac. But will it work with a new M1 iMac??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, thanks, - it's working as pictured - on my current 2017 iMac. But will it work with a new M1 iMac??
Can you verify for us so we know 100% what video connector your old Apple monitor has please? I'm guessing it's an ADC connector. Apple released 4 versions of these monitors from 1999-2004...and 3 of them had an ADC connector.

Also...what sort of video adaptor/adaptors are you using currently to get this Apple monitor to work with your current iMac?

If this Apple monitor does have an ADC connector...you probably know that the single cable coming from the monitor carries the video signal, USB signal, and power.

This worked fine when this monitor was used in combination with Apple desktop tower computers back then...since this monitors cable plugged into a video card with an ADC port...and this video port supplied video & power to the monitor.

Later Apple released an ADC Adaptor...that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 11.19.20 AM.png

This adaptor supplies the power to the monitor...and adapts the ADC video connector to DVI...allowing these old Apple "ADC" monitors to be used with newer Mac's that used DVI video ports (at the time probably in the 2004-2010 time frame). With compatibility with newer Mac's after this time being a bit sketchy.

As mentioned above...3 out of the 4 versions of this monitor were "ADC"...one of them (I think the oldest one)...had a DVI video connector (which in theory)...would be the easiest to work/adapt for use with 2021/2022 Apple computers.

Please let us know (pictures)...what video connectors/cables you have to allow things to work with your current iMac.

Thanks,

Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. this is the adapter/setup. I got the Benfei adapter 5 years ago thanks to previous advice. IMG_3599.jpg IMG_3593.jpg IMG_3604.jpg IMG_3595.jpg IMG_3596.jpg IMG_3598.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the extra info & photos. Looks like you do have the special Apple ADC adaptor for the Apple display (that provides power to the monitor & adapts the monitors cable with the ADC connector to work with full-sized DVI.

Am I correct that the "Benfei" adaptor is DVI on one end & USBc on the other end? If so...I think there's a strong possibility your Apple monitor should still work with brand new Mac's...since all band new Mac's all have USBc ports for just about everything.

If it does work...it would be pretty amazing considering the age & uniqueness of the monitor.:)

Nick

p.s. Worst case scenario if things don't work. Can't let that old Apple monitor hold you back from getting a nice new shiny 2021/2022 model Apple computer.:)

I'm sure you know computer monitors have come a long long way since that Early 2000's Apple monitor. Getting a newer monitor with more screen real estate...faster refresh rate...possibly more clarity...and probably at a reasonable price...wouldn't be super bad.:)

I know I know...if the old monitor still works...why not use it. For me...more screen real estate always trumps frugality.;)

OP
B
Reaction score
"Am I correct that the "Benfei" adaptor is DVI on one end & USBc on the other end?"

Yes, I think so.

"I know I know...if the old monitor still works...why not use it. For me...more screen real estate always trumps frugality.;)"

But it's an APPLE Monitor!!! - it's just used for ToDo, Twitter, Activity Monitor and other background stuff that doesn't really need to be 'better'.

Thank you so much for this really useful conversation and background info. I'll go for it 'real soon' and post the results.

B

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much for this really useful conversation and background info. I'll go for it 'real soon' and post the results.
Looking forward to it. Having a pre-2005 Apple display (practically a 1999 design)...working with a 2022 model Apple computer would be pretty rare...unusual...and amazing!:)

Thanks,

Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks to Nick - @pigoo3 - for the encouragement and confidence to make this decision. I'm delighted that this fantastic 2022 iMac works with this 20 year old monitor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.