New iMac vs Mac Pro G5

Reaction score
I am looking at getting my first mac. I am going into the 3d field and want a computer where I can do modeling and still renders (no animation, I can do this at school).

I have a budget of about 1500 which is pushing it for my expense right now. I could just build a PC and be done with it but I am starting to dislike windows after a few computer crashes.

Would you go with one of the new iMacs 20" the middle one, or an older G5 Mac Pro. Can I upgrade the graphics card in the mac pro?

Any advice would be helpful :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Don't go the G5 way. A lot of apps are coming out that are Intel only. PowerPC is dead.

Yes, you can upgarde the graphics on a Powermac, but you need those special ones and not any one from the market.

I'm not sure if the iMac is as capable as the PowermacG5 in intensive rendering and such (there's no RAID or fiber whatever on the iMac), but it is the future. FMI, which Powermac are you looking at? If its the top end one, then its definitely going to be more powerful than the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would gently disagree with goobimama, but then I own a PowerMac! The G5 is no longer the current architecture, but the 2.3 GHz and 2.5 GHz models are darned powerful (there is roughly a 1:1 equivalence between G5 GHz and C2D HGz, so you can more or less compare the GHz ratings between a G5 and an Intel Mac directly).

You should expect to see Universal apps for some years to come now - they support both PPC and Intel. There are a few apps coming out that are Intel only, but the majority support both, as you would expect. Remember, a huge percentage of the current Mac base out there is G4/G5. Software vendors would be overly restricting their addressable market if they went Intel only. For that simple financial imperative, you can expect to see G4/G5 support continue for some years yet.

So, if you can get a good price on a 2.3 GHz or a 2.5 GHz G5, I would go there vs. a lower or equal spec'd iMac at a higher price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess the dual-dual G5 2.5Ghz would just kick the iMac's .... Plus they also have expandability. I guess the price is all that matters in this case...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would gently disagree with goobimama,.
As do I. :) PowerPC is far from 'dead'.

As far as 3D rendering, the G5 would be the better choice. It has more expandibility than the iMac. You can add more powerful graphics, it can take more system RAM, and has the option for much more HD space... things that are crucial to 3D development.

iMacs of any type are great machines, very powerful. But, at the end of the day they are still consumer-level machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My bad...my bad... (Takes a virtual brick and drops on left foot)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Long term the iMac would be the far better bet.

Whilst PPC isn't 'dead', nobody knows what the situation will be in 3 or 4 years time.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hmm, would it be worth the extra 500 dollars from a 1500-1600 G5 to a refurbished 2000 new Mac Pro? I am willing to pay the extra money if this machine will last me a long time (2-3 years). Since I am just starting school I want a computer that will last me my 2 years of uni and keep up with the times (upgrade). Plus I want a mac cus I don't want to deal with windows. Plus if I got a small macbook for normal every day use and then built my own PC for web i would still be spending around 2500+ each.

What type of graphic cards can I put in a G5? Also will it support the new OSX coming out? As far as intel products I think the new Maya runs in 64x on the intels?

.Hz

Reaction score
I would go for the Mac Pro if you can afford it. You will be happier in the long run.

Peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
My Mac Pro was refurbished and it was over $2300 with taxes and it was a base 2.66GHz model. If you're looking at a 2GHz model, you will not see much of a speed gain over an iMac. You will only get the expandability of a tower.
I would choose an iMac over a G5 PowerMac though. Although expandable, you're putting a lot of money into an older model.
-Peace

OP
J
Reaction score
I did some math and was looking around.

Here is my plan.

20" 2.4ghz iMac - 1500
22" dell monitor - 280
RAM Upgrade 4gb - 330

Total - 2110

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz (Aluminum)
Mac pro towers are expensive... start at about $2,200... and no monitor.

so if you are limited to $1500, they are out of your range.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.