New iMac 24 - Ethernet

Reaction score
I have just purchased the imac 24 with 4 Type c ports.
I did not realise you could have it configured for ethernet??
I am using an ethernet to type C adaptor.
I. It works fine all day but seems to disconnect in sleep mode?
When i check the network settings it says that the ethernet is not connected, although it is working in the day.
Can you advise??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think the ethernet connector for the iMac is actually in the power cord, as part of the "brick." I don't know if Apple sells the power cord separately, but it does have an adapter to allow connection listed on the website:

As for the disconnect, in the Settings>Power area you should see a setting for "Wake for Network Access" that should be ON. Also, in the same area you should see "Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off," or something similar. That should also be ON. That way the CPU is still running while the screen is dark, keeping the network connection alive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thank you very much!!

Most appreciated.
Hi Henry - Jake is right, i.e. the ethernet port is in the power brick - for the holidays I bought my wife a M3 iMac with the power pack shown below - an ethernet cable is attached between your router and the power brick; the cord running to your computer carries the ethernet signal. I've not given the cabled route a try just using Wi-Fi on her computer since it's right next to the router. Dave :)

imac-ethernet-power-adapter.jpg copy.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Related Question: Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi or Both?

Now, no problem in having both going together (one article of many on a web search) - ethernet should be faster (but I'm throttled at 300 Mbps despite that power brick's ability to handle 1 Gbps throughput), but Wi-Fi is needed for certain Apple services. So, if one decides to have both on, any suggestions in setting up the order of the connections or other thoughts? Thanks. Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have both on to use higher Ethernet speeds, but allow my Apple Watch to unlock the MBP. I put the Ethernet first in the order of networks at Settiings>Network (click the ... below the list and then Set Service Order...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I also use both and leave the Mini to sort itself out.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, on our previous iMacs I had both Ethernet attached and Wi-Fi on - guess I'll add an ethernet cable to the power brick - thanks all! Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.