New Apple Keyboard Not Working

Reaction score
A new Apple Magic Keyboard (without the numeric keypad) is not working with my Mac Mini (Late 2014 with OSX El Capitan 10.11.6).
I thought this keyboard might be plug and play but this one in my case is not.

Nothing happens when I try to identify the keyboard using this pathway:
apple icon - system preferences - keyboard - change keyboard type.

The "show Keyboard, Emoij, & symbol Viewers in menu bar" is check-marked but the virtual keyboard doesn't work either.
I'll tried all the usb inputs on the back of the Mac Mini but none of them respond to this Apple keyboard.

Lastly, rebooting the computer did not help either.
Currently, I'm using a Logitech keyboard that is plug and play and works well without any issues.

However, I wanted to use this Apple keyboard because I like the styling of it.
Thanks for any additional tips on how to get the Apple Magic Keyboard to work with the Mac Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It's bluetooth, you have to turn on BT, then link the keyboard via bluetooth. I think you make the keyboard discoverable by pressing the button on the opposite end from where the batteries go. You might read this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204621

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I know, you need to set the keyboard up via Bluetooth. Apple requirements for using the latest Magic Keyboard are: Computer running at least macOS 10.11 and Bluetooth.

Make sure the keyboard is turned on via the small switch on its right side and fully charged. Click on or open Bluetooth. The keyboard should then be seen and it will pair automatically if everything is working right.

If your Logitech keyboard is also Bluetooth, you might want to unpair it first before setting up the new one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Jake:

The Apple new Magic Keyboard which I assume he has, is rechargeable and does not use batteries. He can follow the directions I gave him above unless he does indeed have an older style keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Thanks, Charlie. My keyboard, bought about 18 months ago, uses batteries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
@Jake:

The Apple new Magic Keyboard which I assume he has, is rechargeable and does not use batteries. He can follow the directions I gave him above unless he does indeed have an older style keyboard.

Wife's new iMac bought late 2019 came w/ the 'updated' KB shown below, i.e. On-Off slider and the Lightning charging port - unlike the Magic Mouse (w/ the lightning port on the bottom), the KB while charging is useable! Dave
Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 5.08.00 PM.png

OP
S
Reaction score
I didn't know about the on/off switch, thanks. The keyboard works now.

As a side note, what happens when internal battery in the keyboard wears out and can no longer be recharged?
In theory, can the Apple magic keyboard still work in such a case when connected with the Lightning to USB cable?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a side note, what happens when internal battery in the keyboard wears out and can no longer be recharged?
In theory, can the Apple magic keyboard still work in such a case when connected with the Lightning to USB cable?

Probably time to buy a new keyboard when that battery wears out. Like other Apple rechargeable devices, it probably won't function without a workable battery. But I really don't know that for sure.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@schwine1

Just a couple of tips. Now that you know how to charge the battery - by connecting it via USB to your Mac - you can go on using the Keyboard while it is charging.

And secondly: if you ever have to boot into Safe Mode, or boot up the Mac whilst holding down a key, connect your Keyboard to the Mac via USB before doing so.

This is because, in normal practice, the Keyboard connects to the Mac via Bluetooth (BT) and BT is not recognised until well into the boot-up process. The only way to circumvent this is by connecting it directly to the Mac. It then behaves like a wired Keyboard.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I also have one of the 2018-2019 magic keyboards as pictured. The battery lasts for several days even with heavy use and up to a week with occasional use. I try to obey the same general suggestions for charging as for the Li-ion battery in my iPhone. I don't let it get below 20% and I don't store it at 100%. For the same reason I would not suggest using while connected via cable at 100% for extended periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.