Networking Time Machine with Mac Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have a Mac Mini that I want to use as a network target for Time Machine. It has a 4TB drive attached by USB, and I can access the drive over the network as a NAS, but when I try to use TM, I get errors. First, I get requested to log in to the drive by this window: Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 12.12.35 PM.png

Guest errors out as having no access. I've tried my user name and password on the MBP, as well as the username and password for an administrator on the Mini, and both are rejected. All I get is the "shaking" signal that the data was somehow incorrect. Finally, I tried the Apple ID option (the account on my MBP and the Mini are both signed into the same Apple ID) and got this:

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 12.11.59 PM.png

But I can read/write the drive when it is attached over the LAN to my MBP. It's just TM that cannot seem to get access.

Any TM/network gurus out there?

And yes, the name of the Mini is "iMac." It's complicated, as they say.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I said, it's a Mac Mini, using Sharing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Just for clarification, what iMac is the request referring to? Or is that what you named the Mini?

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got it sorted out, Bob, thanks! And to answer the question, yes, the name of the Mini is 'iMac.' As I said, it's complicated and doesn't really matter now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.