Network exetnsion help

Reaction score
I have Cable to home and have ethernet to every room from the router modem.

We run Mac air and Mac pros.

Though we have ethernet to every room we like wirelessand wifi doesnt make the upstairs back room or does so intermittently.

Given there is an ethernet cable in the room what are my best options simple for getting wifi to that room ?

Range extender or some sort of router option plugged into ethernet....Can extenders be plugged into ethernet and transmitt wifi ?

Recommended products would be nice ..

Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can extenders be plugged into ethernet and transmitt wifi ?

You might want to take a look at Powerline adapters to get wireless to those out of reach places. They can be used in conjunction with your ethernet connections. However, if you've alreadly cabled your home for ethernet, why not just use it instead of spending the extra money on wireless solutions? Ethernet also gives you better security.

OP
R
Reaction score
good points but my daughter would like to use home WIFI to save her data bills on her mobile in house ...

OP
R
Reaction score
Or maybe....
Say she connects her Mac air via ethernet via thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor connecting her to home broadband can she hot spot from Mac book air to her iphone ?...I.e utilise home wifi via mac book air ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can put an access point in one of the rooms where you don't have any devices but have the Ethernet cable sitting. A lot of new routers now actually have extenders that come along and will cover an entire house. One of those is the Orbi from Netgear or Amplifi or Linksys velop.

OP
R
Reaction score
I have an old 1 year old Optus router...Could i make that a WAP ?

It was a DSL router does that matter ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If the Optus router was an access point before, then yes. If not, then no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Given there is an ethernet cable in the room what are my best options simple for getting wifi to that room ?

Range extender or some sort of router option plugged into ethernet....Can extenders be plugged into ethernet and transmitt wifi ?

Recommended products would be nice ..

I can't see why that wouldn't work as we have an Airport Express connected to our ethernet wiring and providing it's WAN wi-fi connection and it works well. Ao I would assume that or similar would work.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If the old router had wireless capability it should work to extend the network and provide wireless signal to the dead spots. I think you're going to need to put the old router in bridge mode. Also, if the router is old enough that it doesn't support WPA2 security give it a pass.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.