Need LCD driver info (BL_ON and PWM) to convert dead 27" iMac into monitor

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have one of the many 2010-era Macs with failed GPUs. In this case, a 27" iMac. I've gutted it of everything except the LG panel, the power supply, and inverter board. I do not have the motherboard anymore, so I can't trace anything back to it.

I bought a cheap LCD driver off eBay, which comes with its own video board and inverter board. I'm powering it with one of the 12V outputs from the original power supply. The original inverter board is currently unused.

The driver board works; a video signal into the board's HDMI port is indeed displayed on the screen. But, as one review stated, the brightness range seems to fall short of the original setup.

I figure that this is due to the cheap inverter board, so I'd like to use the original inverter. The original inverter board identifies the BL_ON and PWM lines. The question is how I use them. I ordered some cheap PWM generators that have adjustable frequency and duty cycle, but I don't know what frequency and voltage the iMac inverter expects on the PWM line.

Also, how do I use the BL_ON line to turn on the backlight? I saw in a thread somewhere that someone found 3.3V on it when it was on, but this may have been a laptop.

Thanks for any insight!

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, I found the info elsewhere. I'll post it here in case it's useful to anyone in the future.

The 2011 iMac display backlight system uses pulse-width modulation (PWM) to control backlight intensity. A PWM control signal is generated within the logic board-video card circuit and routed to the PWM input on the backlight board. The PWM frequency is 13KHz and the pulse height is 3.25V. The duty cycle is varied from 0 to 100% to adjust backlight intensity from minimum to maximum.

You can reportedly turn the backlight on by supplying +5V to the BL_ON wire.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting that information. Good detective work and trouble shooting on your part. :)

And, welcome to our forums!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.