need a printer scanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
need a new ink jet printer, scanner. 100 dollar range??. any suggestions on what to get and where to buy it? I like the HP I have… but its having issues loading paper… I mostly need the scanner II don’t print very often. don’t need lots of bells and whistles. thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Getting a decent printer with a good scanner in the $100 range is not easy to find. More likely you have better luck by spending $125 to $150.

With everyone more or less staying at home because of the pandemic, printers, scanners, routers, and just about any electronic gaming device or computing device has inflated in price.

Check with Amazon or Best Buy to see what they have in stock. Amazon usually has the best prices but not always. Another place to check would be B&H Photo in NY.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, I'd have to agree w/ Charlie, i.e. $100 is on the 'cheap side' (and likely less reliable) - I'm in the same situation and have an active thread that you may have seen, don't know, but recommended? My price range is in the $150-$200 range which should get you a better printer (hopefully, fingers crossed) - these machines are cheaply made and the companies get their money back in selling ink! BUT, take a look HERE for some $100 suggestions and check the sites already mentioned in the previous post. Good luck (to both of us!). Dave

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks will check out best buy. I call them worst buy cause their always expensive. I could go up to 150 bucks I suppose if I had too.

Reaction score
need a new ink jet printer, scanner. 100 dollar range??.
Prior to COVID, that would have been easy. I would have recommended one of the tremendously popular Canon all-in-ones that are the logical successor to the Pixma MX-922, which was a big hit among Macintosh users. You could find these right around $100 on sale, and their performance was excellent for the price.

However, when COVID hit, and everyone had to stay home and socially isolate, there was a run on computer equipment. That caused supplies to diminish, and prices to go up. So the latest Canon MX-922 equivalent, the Canon PIXMA TR8620, can't be found for less than $180.

But Canon isn't the only game in town. Other companies have models that are similarly good deals, but which aren't as popular, so they haven't shot up in price quite as much. I'm told that this all-in-one is a good performer:

Brother mfc j895dw
$130

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a brother laser printer long time ago. I recall not liking it for some reason but I don’t recall why. my printer sill prints oddly enough, it just makes a terrible noise when the paper rollers move… annoying.

Reaction score
I had a brother laser printer long time ago. I recall not liking it for some reason but I don’t recall why. my printer sill prints oddly enough, it just makes a terrible noise when the paper rollers move… annoying.

I recommend Brother laser printers over any other brand of laser printer for Mac users. They are well made, reliable, reasonably priced, full featured for the price, and most importantly, Brother's support for Mac users is excellent. Brother pretty reliably comes out quickly with updated drivers for a new version of the Mac OS when needed, even for older models. See if you can say the same if you own another brand of laser printer after a few years.

I've owned a couple dozen Brother laser printers. None has ever failed. I had an office full of Brother HL-1440's, and they were workhorses. None failed. I finally retired them after 14 years because I was ready for something newer with higher specs. I replaced them with HL-5450DN's, which have been as reliable as rocks. Other than toner cartridges and imaging drums (standard consumables), which I've been able to find for great prices, they have been as reliable as a rock.

I don't recommend Brother printers, though, if you want a color inkjet printer. Canon inkjet printers are the cream of the crop there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See if you can say the same if you own another brand of laser printer after a few years.

I can't speak for other laser printer manufacturers, but HP has supported my LaserJet 1012 up to the latest version of Big Sur. I purchased that printer from Costco back in 2003. Going on 18 years old.

However, I can't say the same thing about HP and its inkjet printers.

Reaction score
I can't speak for other laser printer manufacturers, but HP has supported my LaserJet 1012 ...

It's been variable by model, but HP is BY FAR the worst brand when it comes to [lack of] continued support for older models.

When I mention HP printers among members of my user group there are always a bunch of them who spit on the ground at the mention of the name. They quickly point out that they had printers that weren't terribly old, and which were in wonderful working condition, that HP orphaned by not releasing updated drivers as they were needed.

It happened again with Big Sur. In fact, it was worse with Big Sur than it's been with other recent major releases of the Mac OS.

I've warned people about this for a long time now. Some have refused to listen, and now they have HP bricks in their closet.

HP is also really variable when you call them for support. Sometimes they are really helpful. But several times users have told me that they called HP support and they were told that the problem is that they should be using a Windows computer. (NOT what a Macintosh user wants to hear...)

Last edited:
OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how bout this one? Im digging the price. I rarely print much these days I mostly use the scanner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.