My G5 freezes and goes to max fan a few seconds after booting

Reaction score
The quad core g5 has always been my dream computer and I finally got one from ebay! But I'm having an issue where when I turn it on, it works wonderfully for about 10 seconds to 1 minute, but then whatever's on the screen just freezes and the fans slowly get louder and louder :(

It arrived with no HD, but I bought a mercury 3G SSD. I stuck it in this morning and booted to the CD drive (a leopard install disk from another mac). It worked perfectly this first time I booted it, and I even formatted the SSD in disk utilities on the install CD. I didn't go through with the install though because it said Mac OS wasn't compatible with the machine but that's because it's just the disk from another mac. I powered it off and went to work.

When I got home I made a USB stick with bootable leopard and booted the g5 into open firmware. This is the first time it locked up and the fans went full blast. I unplugged the USB stick and tried open firmware again, but still full blast. I removed the SSD I stuck in earlier and tried again, but nope, still locked up & full blast. I then tried booting from targeted disk with my powerbook but the g5 froze on the boot menu thing that shows up when you hold alt/option (but that same boot menu worked without freezing earlier in the morning!).

I googled the problem and reset the SMU. The first time I booted it after that, it booted to the leopard CD no problem! But then I tried again booting into the boot options menu with alt/option and it froze. I tried two more times to boot from the CD and it also froze each time.

The weird thing is, it chimes every time I boot it, no matter if it's going to freeze or if it's going to work. Also, when it freezes booting to the leopard CD, sometimes it freezes on just a grey screen before the CD drive revs up, sometimes it freezes after the CD drive starts going, and the apple logo shows up.

I don't know a whole lot about Powermacs, and I knew buying this from ebay was a long shot since it's quite old, but honestly I am DEVASTATED right now! I bought an SSD, a quadro, and 8GB of ram for this (I haven't installed any of that btw) but I'm not sure if my machine even works now or not :(

edit: forgot to mention that when it arrived, the video card was slightly loose in the slot (it was missing its screw). The card and the slot look perfectly fine, but I wonder if there's a way I can rule out the video card even though I only have 1 (the quadro I ordered wont be here for a month or so)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Hope you didn't spend too much on that dinosaur. It sounds like the video card may be defective which is causing the freezing and fans going full rpm. The only way you can rule out the video card is substitute another in its place. A couple of our members are familiar with that unit and may give you some additional advice so hang on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Shame you never posted before lashing out your cash. Is this a 2GHz, 2.3GHz or 2.5GHz CPU late 2005 Dual Core, or an earlier Dual Processor?

If it is the 2.5GHz model I may have some bad news for you. They are liquid cooled and tend to fail, with leaks, after eight to ten years. Open it up and have a good look around the CPUs. The fans racing are so typical. Fingers crossed as that is not repairable and a glut of the 2.5GHz model appeared when the problem appeared.Next problem may well be the 3G OWC SSD. They have a SATA II speed of 3Gbps where the G5 came with a 1.5Gbps SATA, or SATA I. As a rule of thumb G5 machines would not boot from external drives. That became the norm with Intel machines which are much faster.

As suggested, open her up and remove the graphics card that is installed and try the FX4500. You never know your luck until you try it out.

It is a long time ago, but I cannot remember ALT/Option working on a PowerPC, The go is to pop the CD in, reboot and hold down 'C" immediately after the chime and hopefully it will boot, allow you in to Disk Utility and proceed from there.

I trust you have not put too much into this unit, as chscag says they are real 'dinosaurs', but at the time they were great dinosaurs!

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/G5_coolant_leaks.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.