My 2011 Imac

Reaction score
Hello, newbie here. I have recently upgraded a 2011 iMac but my WIFI restraints are consistent with 802.11n wifi. I realize there might be threads on this already and am not real versed on finding those on this forum but here goes.

My question is as follows.

If I AirPort Extreme out of my new Comcast modem with Gig Internet and point it towards another AirPort Extreme Timecapsule that ethernets into my iMac, will I do better than my 802.11n since its a "wired connection." I am getting around 150mbps down on my iMac as compared to 300+mbps with my MacBook Air with 802.11ac.

Thoughts appreciated!

JT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Try it and see. The ac speeds are only on the 5MHz band of your wireless which operates over a shorter distance. The Time Capsule will have ac and therefore the faster speed on the 5MHz band. Your 2011 will have only n speeds on both bands. The most prevalent side used is the 2.4Mhz band and it only operates at n speeds but it will cover a larger distance.

I said all that to say if you try your plan to use the Time Capsule to increase your speed it should work if the distance between wireless devices is not too great or has to pass through things like walls. If either are true then the Time Capsule will default to 2.4Mhz and n speeds.

Lias

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.