Multiple external hard drives to one searchable drive

Reaction score
I have about a dozen different types of hard drives that I've used for back-up and general storage over the past ten or more years (all used with Macs) and now want to create one large external drive that I can easily search to find mostly photo files in preparation for an upcoming book. Any thoughts on a dependable, large external drive that would be a good choice for this project? And how would I go about transferring everything from the multiple external drives to this one new drive? Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. The new external drive will be used with my current iMac:

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No one can make any sort of appropriate recommendation without knowing how much data (hence what size drive) you need to store on the new drive.

Ex. are you looking for a 1 TB drive or will you require a 8 TB RAID array?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not many options since there are only 2 hard drive manufacturers left. For that use, I would just go with a WD My Passport which you can get for $60 or less at practically any electronics retailer - or a 2 TB for about $90. If you have a Fry's local to you, they have these on sale quite often.

They'll come formatted as NTFS when you get one, so just reformat it when you connect it up or pay extra to get one "for Mac" and pay an $10-20 for them to have formatted it for you.

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
Not many options since there are only 2 hard drive manufacturers left. For that use, I would just go with a WD My Passport which you can get for $60 or less at practically any electronics retailer - or a 2 TB for about $90. If you have a Fry's local to you, they have these on sale quite often.

They'll come formatted as NTFS when you get one, so just reformat it when you connect it up or pay extra to get one "for Mac" and pay an $10-20 for them to have formatted it for you.

Thanks very much for this information!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.