MP4 Woes

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an iPad Pro 5th Gen 2021. I try to sync some videos to the iPad but gotten "Filename".mp4 was not copied because the video format is not supported by the iPad. Now with that, I went to convert the file to an HEVC mp4 and got the same reply. I can play the video fine on my PC but not sure what else to do when I already converted to another mp4. I'm running iOS Pro 15.4. I'm running out of ideas on how best to fix this issue. I posted some file data before

FileData1.png FileData2.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
See if these articles help:

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I use Handbrake to convert videos to work on my devices, what app are you using to convert?

OP
K
Reaction score
See if these articles help:

Ian

I already converted it even in iTunes still the same thing. It's an MP4 but still won't work any clue as to why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I usually use the Preset > General > HQ 1080p30 Surround. Then run a test file and adjust as needed. I haven't needed to adjust any other settings.

OP
K
Reaction score
I usually use the Preset > General > HQ 1080p30 Surround. Then run a test file and adjust as needed. I haven't needed to adjust any other settings.

I was looking for some how-to on this but not getting fair with YouTube. Dumb question, but where is the preset that you're talking about under?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Rather than re-encoding the video (a process which inherently will cause you to lose detail, even though you may not notice it with aggressive settings), you could try a couple other things. Firstly, you could get VLC for iPad and simply send the videos to that. VLC has a couple different syncing options. Alternatively, you might be able to do something called "remux", which basically takes the contents of the mp4 file and re-writes them into a new container. Whether or not this will work depends on if the contents are compatible with the mp4 format. Actually, I wonder if the problem is the file extension you are using. Apple devices use m4v as the file extension for mp4 video.

If you want to try remuxing, I'd first need to see what the file contents are encoded as. MediaInfo is what's widely used and can give a lot of details. I'd need the details for the video and audio components.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What a bloody waste of time! I was thinking of buying a new M1 iPad. They don't support ALL formats?!? ***!

NOTHING does, out of the box. Not a Mac. Not an iPad. Not any version of Windows, ever. You just have to get the right software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have been following this thread and am a bit mystified. The mp4 format is very universal and should be playable on your iPad. The M1 chip should not be the issue. I have an M1 MBP and I create mp4 videos weekly with it. I also have a Windows PC that I use to create mp4 contend and my M1 has no issue playing it. My iPhone 13 pro has no issues creating or playing mp4 formatted videos. So something else is going on.

You do not say how you are transferring the videos to the iPad. I might suggest uploading from the PC to a cloud storage like dropbox or google drive the access them on the iPad just to see if there is still an issue. Remuxing or re-encoding the videos may work but I just find it very strange the iPad has issues with mp4 formatting since that is what a lot of online videos are formatted in.

Also Handbrake is good but you will loose quality. If you want to remux I suggest using OBS - which is a free broadcasting app that does a very nice job of remuxing.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.