Moving programmes/apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
I'm using a mid 2013 macbook air with a micron 1tb drive with Catalina 10.15.7. I have an Adata 1tb SE760 external ssd with a ccc backup of Sierra. There are a couple of programmes/apps that i want to put on the macbook from the Adata. Will this be possible seeing as the backup isn't the same OS as the macbook? If so, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me (in idiots terms) how to do it. Having these apps on the macbook will save playing about with a re start with the option key to use Sierra.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My immediate response would be to upgrade the CCC backup to Catalina by booting your device with the clone and upgrading in the usual way, but you may have reasons not to do that and it may fail.

There is no reason why you cannot connect your old Sierra CCC backup drive to your device like any external HD and drag and drop data from it to your device running Catalina. Bear in mind some apps may not be compatible, Catalina will not run 32bit applications and if they are 64bit they may still need to update to a later version. This is by far the safer method as you can retain the original files on the clone.

If you have room to transfer everything you want to keep to your device you could then consider erasing the Adata drive and create a new clone of Catalina.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks Rod. I can't see how to drag and drop because when I'm booted from the external, I've got nowhere to drag it to. Or do you mean plug the external in when the macbook is booted and then drag and drop? I did try this but it only worked out to be an alias.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.