Moving Photos from my hard drive to DPP4

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone give me an idea how to move my photos in the photo app (6000+) into DPP4. I have a Canon camera and the only way they tell you is to import photos is direct from the memory card. I hope there is an easier way than this, bearing in mind I'm in my Seventies, so I'm not a computer whizzkid. Any Advice appreciated,

Roy

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Roy. Are you planning to move just the photographs - OR - are you intending to move the Photos Library?

The latter is straightforward and, in effect, copies the Library to (what is DDP4??) an External Hard Drive (EHD)??

The advantage of this approach is that you get round the "import from memory card" - plus can access that Library and do what you want with it re editing etc.

Much easier and quicker. Over to you for comment, please:)

Ian

OP
R
Reaction score
Ian, the photos are in the photo app, DPP4 is Canon's photo editing software that came free with my camera. I have 1000's of photos going back over 20 yrs and I would like to access them direct from my hard drive, so that I can "play"about with them, but I might have to put them on an external hard drive and then import them. I was hoping for an easier way! Any more thoughts would be appreciated

Roy

P.S. I hope this all makes sense

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You can "play" about with them in Photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
P.S. I hope this all makes sense
Sorry, but no, it doesn't for me. I'm not a Canon owner any more, but the last one I had came with a USB cable that I could attach to my Mac and then use Image Capture (already on the Mac in the Applications folder) to import images from the camera to Photos directly. Then I can edit them in Photos with the tools there, and if that's not suffient, there are also some tools in Preview. What I ended up is getting Affinity Photo and integrating it with Photos to be able to edit from Photos using Affinity. Works pretty well.

So, I would suggest using an appropriate USB cable to attach the camera to the Mac, then open Image Capture and see if the camera appears at a source.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.