Moving over to my new MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I ordered a new MacBook pro. It arrives Monday.

My current MacBook Pro is a early 2011 model running Sierra and Fusion for Windows.

Should I try the migration assistant business or just do a fresh install of everything?

On one hand a fresh install seems better but then on the other I have 5 years of crap on here and it seems a like some kind of magic transfer might be nice.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If your current (2011) MacBook Pro is running well then migrating the data should be fine. If you are having speed / instability issues then don't migrate the setup. In that case a clean install of the apps would probably be best.

Note: If you are going to migrate data from your existing Mac to the new one it's usually best to do that as a first step -- before you create a user account. Otherwise you will end up with two different accounts

M

MacInWin

And be aware you may need to reregister some of the software after migration. Microsoft and Adobe are two pretty strict companies. I don't know about Fusion, but it's worth a check. Adobe used to require to the de-register on the old system before you could re-register on the new. Check with all of them before making the move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I've used two new MBPs since parting company with my 2011 model and not had to re-register with Adobe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.