mount older mac hard drive on new mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, mid 2011. 3.1GHz i5, 16GB memory, 10.13.2 OS
I have removed an internal hard drive from an older iMac and want to recover the files and folders. I have hooked this drive up to an external drive box (has power supply and firewire port). I set the jumper configuration to "Enable cable select". Note that there are four additional jumper choices: "Limit capacity to 32 Gbytes", "Master or single drive", "Drive is a slave", and "Master with a non-ATA-compatible slave". When I connect the drive and turn it on, the beach ball spins and the Finder locks up. Cmd+Option+Esc shows Finder not responding. What is required in order to properly mount this drive?

UPDATE** Reset jumper connectors to "Master or Single Drive". Icon shows up on desktop, double clicked to open, shows no files, nothing. Right click "get info" shows Capacity 20.48GB, used 10.26GB. See attached screen grab of drive info. Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 1.52.02 PM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

You are trying to connect by Firewire. Just how new is this 'new iMac' as FW has long been replaced by Thunderbolt, from 2011 in fact?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, mid 2011. 3.1GHz i5, 16GB memory, 10.13.2 OS
iMac Drive

I updated my user profile showing my mac's specifications. have a mid 2011 iMac (my current mac), 10.13.2 OS High Sierra. The drive I removed from my older iMac G3. Cannot remember the OS version. BTW, the drive I connected shows as an icon on my desktop, however the beachball is still spinning and Finder is still not responding. And yes, my current iMac has a Thunderbolt connector, however my external drive does not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.