Most recent Apple TV vs. 3rd generation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 14.2.1; iPhone 11; iPad Air, iPad Pro
I have 2 3rd gen apple tvs. I wanted to add a couple of apps, and found out can't add to versions 1-3. Both running latest softeware.
I have looked, but can someone tell me the advantages of latest version vs 3rd generation other than being able to download apps from app store? App store not even on either of my devices. Looks like latest is apple tv 4K??

Thanks you in advance for your help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What version of tvOS are you running on there? Not sure why you don't have the App Store since I'm pretty sure that was there from the first version of AppleTV.

The difference between the older and current 4K version of AppleTV should be the faster device and the ability to do 4K. But from running apps perspective, they should be identical.

OP
ramcclain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 14.2.1; iPhone 11; iPad Air, iPad Pro
Both running 7.6.2. I did some searching and saw that apple is no longer supporting 1-3 gens. It is after that that you can download what you want at the app store. Looked carefully, and NO app store on either apple tv. Guess I want to know how the tv4k is better than what I have except for the app store? Is it worth buying new ones? Thanks for your comment.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can check specs for the Apple TV 4K at Apple's web site and compare for yourself. In the meantime, Amazon.com has the latest Apple TV 4K on sale for $179 and the HD model for $149.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Both running 7.6.2. I did some searching and saw that apple is no longer supporting 1-3 gens. It is after that that you can download what you want at the app store. Looked carefully, and NO app store on either apple tv. Guess I want to know how the tv4k is better than what I have except for the app store? Is it worth buying new ones? Thanks for your comment.

Apple is rumored to be readying the release of an updated model (it quite frankly is long overdue), so buying a new one now might not be a good value. You could instead try to buy a used version of the 4th gen (HD but non-4K) model, which still gets updates. Actually you can still buy the 4th gen new for $150 with 32 GB (the 5th gen 4K version is $180), though they are selling for around $100 used on eBay.

Reaction score
been looking forward to upgraded hardware to play better games on the apple tv natively with out streaming :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.